Which Hanna checker do I want?

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Hanna copper checker do I want? High range (ppm) or low range (ppb)? I want to have it on hand next time I set up qt. Seachem test kit works but is hard to get precise numbers.

Thanks

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

I have one additional question. I was wondering what the acceptable range of copper is in a reef tank? Ideally we want zero I understand but I was wondering at what level is it starting to get bad for corals and inverts. Just checking since I am using distilled water right now for my tank top offs.

Thanks

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that, with the HR checker, if you read any copper at all in your reef tank, it's too high.
The lowest reading on the HR checker would be 0.01 ppm, or 10 ppb.
10 ppb would be a very high copper level if found on ICP-OES testing of reef tank water.
< 1 ppb or undetectable would be expected results there.

However, at the lowest end of the scale, the checker might spuriously give you a reading of 0.01, when none is present.
So best not to even test reef tank water with the HR checker, to avoid potential confusion and worry.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

I have one additional question. I was wondering what the acceptable range of copper is in a reef tank? Ideally we want zero I understand but I was wondering at what level is it starting to get bad for corals and inverts. Just checking since I am using distilled water right now for my tank top offs.

Thanks
You want it undetectable. You might find with the hanna checker you see .01-.05ppm which is fine. The tester has a variance of +/-.05ppm. Any higher than that I would try to run carbon, cuprisorb, etc. To remove any.

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. The reason for that question is I am DIstilled water to top my tank off. I have a smaller tank and am debating whether a rodi unit is worth it. I know some distilled water can have trace copper in it depending on how it was distilled. The minor amount of copper possibly found in distilled water shouldn’t be an issue,right?

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back