Which is better from someone thats owned both: Waterbox or Red Sea?

Which is the better tank with sump below?

• Total voters

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like both the Red Sea and Waterbox aquariums with the sump in the cabinet. For those of you that have owned both or currently has both a WB and RS aquarium with the sump in the cabinet; which do you like most and why? I just heard of the Cade aquarium while googling and saw it mentioned a ton in a older post in this forum. I think Cade is superior but much too expensive at the moment.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am wondering this. I am looking at the Red Sea S 850. And any Waterbox of about the same size. I have an older RedSea tank and can say I like the quality of it. My only issue is that it had a hood. It is hard to get replacement parts for it since it is now discontinued. Maybe what we should be asking is what you like or dislike about the particular model of tank you are considering? Will be watching.

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve owned both. I would only go with water box going forward. Currently still have a redsea 900 3xl going.

1. seal issues - these are a concern. Enough that my tank is set up in my garage.

2. customer service - long lag times. Jump through hoops on the warrenty.

3. Metric - less of a problem with G2 but huge pain in the butt when doing anything custom that involves the current plumbing or return.

4. Last and mileage varys for people. Lack of adaptation to market demands over time - Aquaforest, water box, Cade, they all show improvements over their design over time. Things like built in manifolds, dosing tube holders, etc. these are all small but very significant quality of life improvements. I was wholly unimpressed with G2 changes.

Hope that helps.

Best of luck on the search.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve owned both. I would only go with water box going forward. Currently still have a redsea 900 3xl going.

1. seal issues - these are a concern. Enough that my tank is set up in my garage.

2. customer service - long lag times. Jump through hoops on the warrenty.

3. Metric - less of a problem with G2 but huge pain in the butt when doing anything custom that involves the current plumbing or return.

4. Last and mileage varys for people. Lack of adaptation to market demands over time - Aquaforest, water box, Cade, they all show improvements over their design over time. Things like built in manifolds, dosing tube holders, etc. these are all small but very significant quality of life improvements. I was wholly unimpressed with G2 changes.

Hope that helps.

Best of luck on the search.
I also have heard of seal issues. Sorry you have to keep your tank in the garage.

collins.jason.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a Red Sea Max E260 set up and running, right next to it I just a couple weeks ago put my Waterbox Reefer 180.5 on the stand. The Waterbox tank isn't running yet, but just based on my first impressions the Waterbox tank is going to be the one I choose. I have dealt with Waterbox customer service twice since receiving it and both times the customer service was top notch and went above and beyond my expectations.

I'd recommend Waterbox to anyone every day of the week and twice on Sunday just for the customer service alone, not to mention how gorgeous the tank is.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK... slightly off topic... (maybe a little bit more than slightly)... :)

But, while I really like to looks of the actual aquariums/tanks themselves that both Red Sea and Waterbox produce...

Their stands are just... cheap looking...

The stands look like the same cheap Sauder/IKEA, etc. put together yourself stands.

And, of course, they won't just sell you the tank setup without the stand.

That is really the only thing that has kept me from seriously considering them...

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK... slightly off topic... (maybe a little bit more than slightly)... :)

But, while I really like to looks of the actual aquariums/tanks themselves that both Red Sea and Waterbox produce...

Their stands are just... cheap looking...

The stands look like the same cheap Sauder/IKEA, etc. put together yourself stands.

And, of course, they won't just sell you the tank setup without the stand.

That is really the only thing that has kept me from seriously considering them...
thats how I feel about them too. The same basic black/white mdf stands that the fiance wont approve lol. You could take a look at planet. I just bought a custom 60 with super nice wood stand with walnut finish. Before buying, I was planning to do an 8020 stand and then skinning the stand myself, so it would match our furniture.

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This says a lot for me. They claim it’s limited, so take from that what you will.

7FAA2C39-6173-41BC-B1A6-BF3884C0D4DA.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back