Which is the best beginner tank?

PoppyCorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about buying an Innovative Marine 25 Gallon Fusion Lagoon Aquarium for my first tank since the process of setting it up seemed simple. As I did more research, I found that most experienced hobbyists recommended larger tanks for beginners. That led to a sleepless night looking at a number of options...Please follow along about how I came to the remaining options.

I want to keep the size to about 40 gallons. So the first tank I found was the Nuvo 40. The size looked great but the dimensions were a bit funky. I like the cube but the filtration takes up a lot of space. But I also have some remaining plywood to build a nice stand for this which would cut down costs. My only gripe is the sump in the back (which most say is not ideal compared to a real sump) and the weird footprint due to the filtration. So...now I went looking for a similar sized tank with a sump. ~$2000

Then I found the Red Sea tanks. I think the 170 is a cool tank. The dimensions are similar (almost identical) to the Nuvo 40 but there is a sump beneath the tank and the tank just looks great overall. The only downside is that this would end up costing $400 more than the Nuvo 40. But there is a sump and I don't really have to do much work. ~$2400

Then I started to think..."hmmm...the tank is kind of big but then feels somewhat small". Then I did a very bad thing and got serious about the Red Sea 250. I love this. It does feel very big but it's kind of like a 40 Breeder with just 2 inches added to depth and 4 inches added to height. When I tell myself this, the tank suddenly seems ok lol. The only downside is that the operating costs would be $300 more than the Red Sea 170. ~$2700

So, next came the 40 breeder which would be drilled and plumbed. I avoided this initially even after reading a ton of people recommend this but then now the process doesnt seem too bad. I would buy an eshopps overflow, 1 inch for the drains, 3/4 inch for the return, put 2 unions on each pipe, put on a gate valve on one drain, and buy a sump (just lazy to do so much DIY). The only thing that keeps bugging me about this is the look of the tank. For sure, it doesn't look as nice as a fancy Red Sea. But I found a thread where the owner made the tank look super nice so now I'm leaning towards this option which is the same price as the Red Sea 170. ~$2300

What do I do! :confused:

The Red Sea 250 is the best (in my opinion) but a lot more expensive. Although I have a bit to spend, keeping costs down is always the way to go. The 40 breeder is probably the best bang for the buck given the size is great and the cost is lower but the looks of the tank are not the best. The Red Sea 170 is cool but I wonder if I'll regret the size later lol. The Nuvo 40 is "cheap" but is it really the best?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome reef to reef. I started simple and no sump. Canister and hob and off I went.

I do recommend a sump if can be done. Drilling your own is really not that bad. If you can afford one drilled and already to go for the sump that much easier your life will be.

You can ask 1000 Different reefers and get 1000 different answers. It really is up to you. No system is the same.

Monsinour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a 56 tall marineland tank from petsplace during their $1 per gallon sale and found a nice 20 gallon custom sump on eBay. I got a cpr overflow and off I went. All in ones, not ideal, are easy.

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 breeders and a sump is the best all around tank IMO. I pretty much got out of the hobby for a few years but kept my 40 running because it's not intrusive and is easy to maintain. You can definitely get away with less than $2k too! I will never have a tank bigger than 20 gallons without a sump again personally as it just makes things so much easier and cleaner.

Gunzen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest he Fluval 20 Nuv0. Then add a sump and you have almost 30 gallons. That is stable enough and you can stock it and not break the bank.

Look at a DIY video and you can make one for about 40 dollars including the tank and baffles.

Then, if you go bigger you have a quarantine tank or you can make it into a sump.

Put two of these on

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ETQ92A...t=&hvlocphy=9031809&hvtargid=pla-442191192893

And for 100 free shipping you have your light. So for about 350 you have a sump, lighting (very good lighting too for all but the most needy stuff) tank.

You can drill or get a Eshopps nano type overflow. If you upgrade. Y can use that up to like 55 gallons.

Then you see how it goes, and you haven’t broken the bank.

Those lights are joke and are only 49.99 right now. Wow.

Look at the par numbers;

video...

Works good on my tank..

1BEE4C9A-2722-48FA-86D9-4A063019D7BD.jpeg

Monsinour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gunzen the Amazon page lists 2 other lights similar in design. However only the hipagaro light mentions the violet led. It is $63 so slightly more.

Gunzen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gunzen the Amazon page lists 2 other lights similar in design. However only the hipagaro light mentions the violet led. It is $63 so slightly more.

Neither have the violet. My friend bought the Hipargero first, I bought the other a few weeks later.

The 49 dollar one was 59 dollars until this week. They are the exact same light.

The newer versions of all the generic lights do not have the violet Cree for some reason.

That is not on either anymore for some reason. That light has enough light, adjustable blues/whites, and a nice shimmer for all but the most needy corals for less than a quarter of the price if the AI Prime which I consider to be a really good light for the price as well.

Not everyone has a ton of cash in the beginning. I was just tying to give him an option to try without breaking the bank to begin with.

Last edited:

robmiller2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first reef was a 40 breeder with a 20 gallon sump. Seems to be quite the popular option. Turned out to be my favorite and easiest tank to take care of. I had a 150 gallon marineland cube for years and I still think that the 40 was easier to work with.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a 40g breeder and now I may build a 75g.

IMG_3555.JPG

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Innovative Marine tanks are great, I think I'd stay away from the IM40 though. That tank is awkwardly tall and narrow and makes it tough to aquascape. The lagoon 25 is a great tank and I would recommend that one or the IM30, or the 50 lagoon if that's in your range. I don't have any doubt that larger tanks with external sumps are better, but I've had great results with my 3 (soon to be 4) Innovative Marine tanks and would recommend them. They were my first tanks and will most likely be my only tanks. The thing about this hobby is that you will see and hear a lot of conflicting information, and a lot of times the best way to learn is to just do it.

Gunzen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gunzen I was just looking for clarification is all. I wasn't critisizing.

I know man. People are kind here. I just think lighting is kind of a scam sometimes. I worked in the industry in college in the early nineties and people had really nice reef tanks with flouredfrnt bulbs before all this stuff.

I think there are definite advantages to the expensive stuff, but does a light with a few more led watts really need to cost five times as much because of an ap that dims it? That 49 dollar light can be adjusted as well.

My point was there are plenty of good products out there to be had without breaking the bank.

Was just sayin. All good.

Edit: I know some animals really need amazing light, but still seems like gouging to me sometimes.

Last edited:

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about buying an Innovative Marine 25 Gallon Fusion Lagoon Aquarium for my first tank since the process of setting it up seemed simple. As I did more research, I found that most experienced hobbyists recommended larger tanks for beginners. That led to a sleepless night looking at a number of options...Please follow along about how I came to the remaining options.

I want to keep the size to about 40 gallons. So the first tank I found was the Nuvo 40. The size looked great but the dimensions were a bit funky. I like the cube but the filtration takes up a lot of space. But I also have some remaining plywood to build a nice stand for this which would cut down costs. My only gripe is the sump in the back (which most say is not ideal compared to a real sump) and the weird footprint due to the filtration. So...now I went looking for a similar sized tank with a sump. ~$2000

Then I found the Red Sea tanks. I think the 170 is a cool tank. The dimensions are similar (almost identical) to the Nuvo 40 but there is a sump beneath the tank and the tank just looks great overall. The only downside is that this would end up costing $400 more than the Nuvo 40. But there is a sump and I don't really have to do much work. ~$2400

Then I started to think..."hmmm...the tank is kind of big but then feels somewhat small". Then I did a very bad thing and got serious about the Red Sea 250. I love this. It does feel very big but it's kind of like a 40 Breeder with just 2 inches added to depth and 4 inches added to height. When I tell myself this, the tank suddenly seems ok lol. The only downside is that the operating costs would be $300 more than the Red Sea 170. ~$2700

So, next came the 40 breeder which would be drilled and plumbed. I avoided this initially even after reading a ton of people recommend this but then now the process doesnt seem too bad. I would buy an eshopps overflow, 1 inch for the drains, 3/4 inch for the return, put 2 unions on each pipe, put on a gate valve on one drain, and buy a sump (just lazy to do so much DIY). The only thing that keeps bugging me about this is the look of the tank. For sure, it doesn't look as nice as a fancy Red Sea. But I found a thread where the owner made the tank look super nice so now I'm leaning towards this option which is the same price as the Red Sea 170. ~$2300

What do I do! :confused:

The Red Sea 250 is the best (in my opinion) but a lot more expensive. Although I have a bit to spend, keeping costs down is always the way to go. The 40 breeder is probably the best bang for the buck given the size is great and the cost is lower but the looks of the tank are not the best. The Red Sea 170 is cool but I wonder if I'll regret the size later lol. The Nuvo 40 is "cheap" but is it really the best?

Honestly it all depends on what kind of fish and corals you want to keep. Personally for that price I would buy a 40 Breeder for one of the 50% off sales that Petco does and then go from there. Don't get me wrong, the aforementioned setups are nice but I spent much less than that on my 90 gallon setup.

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you consider a sca tank? I’m currently setting up a 90 and am very happy.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back