Which is the best spearer mantis shrimp for begginers and how I can take care of it?

Picasso the Triggerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always loved these mantis over any other kind, mainly because how fast they hunt, which one is the best for mantis begginers like me?, how I can take care of it? What I can feed to it?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mantis! Such a fascinating creature! Will probably come down to what u can find rather than what u want. But they're all wonderful !
Do your research so u make sure he has a proper home. And u can feed them any meaty diet...fish,shrimp,clam, squid..etc

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most mantis are not too difficult to take care of but they are messy eaters to good filtration, keeping macro algae, or a dedicated refugium is a plus. I keep my current mantis in the refugium of my main aquarium system. Each species can have different requirements for temp/habitat and it comes down to knowing what species you are getting which can be difficult to know as they are not very common in the hobby. I have a yellow Pseudosquilla ciliata which is a smaller spearing mantis that inhabits reef flats and does not require a deep sand bed. Some sand dwelling spearing mantis require deep sand 6-12" to make a proper burrow so knowing the species is key to understanding its burrow requirements. As for feeding spearing mantis like fish but they will also take shrimp, clams, and squid. I always use a feeding stick as my mantis likes to hunt and spear its food even when its on a stick. On occasion I used to get some black mollies covert them to full saltwater and then put them in the tank for some natural hunting which the mantis enjoys.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back