Which is the best spearer mantis shrimp for begginers and how I can take care of it?

Picasso the Triggerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always loved these mantis over any other kind, mainly because how fast they hunt, which one is the best for mantis begginers like me?, how I can take care of it? What I can feed to it?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mantis! Such a fascinating creature! Will probably come down to what u can find rather than what u want. But they're all wonderful !
Do your research so u make sure he has a proper home. And u can feed them any meaty diet...fish,shrimp,clam, squid..etc

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most mantis are not too difficult to take care of but they are messy eaters to good filtration, keeping macro algae, or a dedicated refugium is a plus. I keep my current mantis in the refugium of my main aquarium system. Each species can have different requirements for temp/habitat and it comes down to knowing what species you are getting which can be difficult to know as they are not very common in the hobby. I have a yellow Pseudosquilla ciliata which is a smaller spearing mantis that inhabits reef flats and does not require a deep sand bed. Some sand dwelling spearing mantis require deep sand 6-12" to make a proper burrow so knowing the species is key to understanding its burrow requirements. As for feeding spearing mantis like fish but they will also take shrimp, clams, and squid. I always use a feeding stick as my mantis likes to hunt and spear its food even when its on a stick. On occasion I used to get some black mollies covert them to full saltwater and then put them in the tank for some natural hunting which the mantis enjoys.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back