Which is the easiest parrotfish to keep and how I can take care of it?

Picasso the Triggerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have been really fascinated by reef fishes, specially parrotfishes, since they are so fascinating. And Im wondering what parrotfish I should get as a beginner, what tank size they need, if they are reef safe, what fish could live with it and also if these fishes are reef safe or not, and if they can live with pyramid butterflyfishes.

Last edited:

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a beginner fish, generally not reef safe, and I think the smallest parrotfish require around 180 gallons

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a parrotfish in a 120 definitely not my first fish. They are prone to infection and my tang likes to pick on her. 120 gallons is kind of small for this fish.
0065A285-1947-42D8-B3B9-222E7543BD76.jpeg

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greenblotch parrotfish supposedly only get 6 or so inches and are algae eaters rather than coral eaters

OP
OP
Picasso the Triggerfish

Picasso the Triggerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greenblotch parrotfish supposedly only get 6 or so inches and are algae eaters rather than coral eaters
Thanks, is also called quoyi parrotfish? I googled greenblotch parrotfish and it says the scientific name is Scarus quoyi, the same as the quoyi parrotfish

Last edited:
OP
OP
Picasso the Triggerfish

Picasso the Triggerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I just founded a roughly 5 inch quoyi parrotfish at just 88 BUCKS (original price is 75 euros)! I have seen some shops that sell them at 200 BUCKS, too bad it's on europe

OP
OP
Picasso the Triggerfish

Picasso the Triggerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what are good tankmates for a quoyi parrotfish? What order I introduce the fish? Are the pyramid butterflyfish a good tankmate or is a bad idea?

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I just founded a roughly 5 inch quoyi parrotfish at just 88 BUCKS (original price is 75 euros)! I have seen some shops that sell them at 200 BUCKS, too bad it's on europe
That's a phenomenal price!! Awesome job finding that.

Also, what are good tankmates for a quoyi parrotfish? What order I introduce the fish? Are the pyramid butterflyfish a good tankmate or is a bad idea?
Generally any peaceful tankmates so yellow pyramid butterflies should be good. Just add least to most aggro the parrot being one of your first additions. No personal expierence with quoyi parrots but am very interested in getting one if I upgrde my tank. I'm jealous...

OP
OP
Picasso the Triggerfish

Picasso the Triggerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally any peaceful tankmates so yellow pyramid butterflies should be good. Just add least to most aggro the parrot being one of your first additions. No personal expierence with quoyi parrots but am very interested in getting one if I upgrde my tank. I'm jealous...

Thanks for the advice, I think the list will be something like this:

1. Quoyi parrotfish

1. Peaceful butterflyfish (maybe pyramid if I find cheap ones, but I will probably end with a much cheaper one)

1. Foxface

1. Coral beauty

Quoyi is definitely not easy to take care of, like you were asking.

A tusk might be something to look into.
I agree that the parrotfish is not easy to take care and are a bit difficult, so Im not sure if I will just scrap this idea, or using the same idea but with different fish

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, is also called quoyi parrotfish? I googled greenblotch parrotfish and it says the scientific name is Scarus quoyi, the same as the quoyi parrotfish

The small greenblotch parrotfish is Sparisoma atomarium. There are some YouTube videos from Matt Pedersen who was able to get them spawning in his 90 gallon tank. He also wrote an article about them in the Q4 2019 issue of Reef Hobbyist magazine (https://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com/read-magazine.php?did=6574320_73050075).

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW Philipp and Kara at KP Aquatics are fantastic to deal with, I have gotten great live rock and fish (including greenblotch parrotfish) from them.

do you have pics of the greenblotch? not much out there on the interwebs

parrotfish don't really do a lot for me (except the quoyi obviously, but not about to waste money on that one) but a green fish that eats algae might be kinda cool

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have pics of the greenblotch? not much out there on the interwebs

They're really fast. Matt's photos in the Reef Hobbyist article I linked above are way better than anything I have been able to grab.

a green fish that eats algae might be kinda cool

So far mine don't seem very interested in hair algae, but chow down on Ulva and Caulerpa.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're really fast. Matt's photos in the Reef Hobbyist article I linked above are way better than anything I have been able to grab.

So far mine don't seem very interested in hair algae, but chow down on Ulva and Caulerpa.
Any chance you can give an update? Did yours ever take to coral?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back