Which is the most admired, respected and credited ocean conservation/restoration/awareness organization in the world

In your opinion, which is the most admired and credited ocean conservation organization worldwide?

• MarineBio

• Coral Restoration Foundation

• The Nature Conservancy

• Coral Reef Alliance

• NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Program

• Oceana

• OceanCare

• Ocean Conservancy

• Greenpeace International

• Natural Resources Defense Council

• SeaLegacy

• Project AWARE

• Bahamas Plastic Movement

• PRETOMA

• Oceanic Preservation Society

• Sea Shepherd Conservation Society

• Ocean Rescue Alliance

• The Reef Institute

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SW-041717-Ocean-Hero.jpg

So many different ways humans harm the ecosystem require many different forms of fighting back. As the severity increases the more new non-profit organizations spawn with the mission to act locally or globally to stop and revert the damage and offer ways to make more people aware.

Unfortunately, not all have the same commitment and some are very shady to say the least, using the appearance of a beneficial non-profit organization to get funds from donations and government assistance programs for their own purposes and just doing the least to be legally able to continue operating while others actually make a huge difference.

So, In your opinion, which is the most admired, respected and credited ocean conservation/restoration/awareness organization in the world?

You can pick two.

If you have a minute tell me why.

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem like a pretty legit organization, as a scientific agency within the United States Department of Commerce. They have a broad activity range specifically dedicated to the oceans. They do a lot of research and have amazing resources like satellites!

They just reneweed their administration and this new guy isnt't new at all and seems to know a thing or two:
"Richard (Rick) W. Spinrad, Ph.D., an internationally renowned scientist with four decades of ocean, atmosphere, and climate science and policy expertise, was sworn in today by U.S. Secretary of Commerce Gina M. Raimondo as the under secretary of commerce for oceans and atmosphere and the 11th NOAA administrator. This follows his confirmation by the U.S. Senate on June 17, 2021."
- https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/richard-w-spinrad-sworn-in-as-noaa-administrator

tjohnson3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes… Doc Spin was a great choice! Wishing him and the organization the BEST of luck in their new endeavors together

tjohnson3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem like a pretty legit organization, as a scientific agency within the United States Department of Commerce. They have a broad activity range specifically dedicated to the oceans. They do a lot of research and have amazing resources like satellites!

They just reneweed their administration and this new guy isnt't new at all and seems to know a thing or two:
"Richard (Rick) W. Spinrad, Ph.D., an internationally renowned scientist with four decades of ocean, atmosphere, and climate science and policy expertise, was sworn in today by U.S. Secretary of Commerce Gina M. Raimondo as the under secretary of commerce for oceans and atmosphere and the 11th NOAA administrator. This follows his confirmation by the U.S. Senate on June 17, 2021."
- https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/richard-w-spinrad-sworn-in-as-noaa-administrator
Amen to the satellite feeds… my kiddos LOVE seeing where all the tagged sharks are pinging when we go to the beach

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SW-041717-Ocean-Hero.jpg

So many different ways humans harm the ecosystem require many different forms of fighting back. As the severity increases the more new non-profit organizations spawn with the mission to act locally or globally to stop and revert the damage and offer ways to make more people aware.

Unfortunately, not all have the same commitment and some are very shady to say the least, using the appearance of a beneficial non-profit organization to get funds from donations and government assistance programs for their own purposes and just doing the least to be legally able to continue operating while others actually make a huge difference.

So, In your opinion, which is the most admired, respected and credited ocean conservation/restoration/awareness organization in the world?

You can pick two.

If you have a minute tell me why.
CRF uses a lot of volunteers to do more and keep costs low; a great "value" imho.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other. WHY, because I feel they ALL are great in trying to preserve the oceans.

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can take Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd off the list.
I would but I would like to see what kind of organizations have adherence. Good or bad they're all in the same boat and I would like to have a glimpse into the real scenario, thats why I tried to add all kinds of organizations.

A lot of different things come in to play and image is sometimes greater than facts, specially when there is media involved and people don't actually do a lot of critical thinking or search for the source of the information. Believe it or not people have voted for Sea Shepherd here and I wouldn't be surprised to see more do so.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, eco-terrorist groups don't really help the cause
I can understand why Sea Shepherd are considered eco-terrorists. While I don’t agree with everything they’ve done/do, I do think there is some nobility in some of the actions they’ve taken. But if they are eco-terrorists, then I think it’s fair to also call the whalers eco-terrorists (though they’re on the opposite side of the coin), they’ve engaged in just as much property destruction, targeted violence, and broken just as many laws (plus they kill whales). I also think that a fair question to ask is how long do conservationists/activists wait for practices such as whaling to be ended legally before taking direct action? How many species going extinct while we wait for certain governments to get it together is acceptable? 1? 20? All of them? I guess my question is when is direct action justified? I’m not asking that rhetorically, I really don’t know the answer. But I can understand why some people don’t think waiting is an option and are willing to take direct action, I don’t know if it’s right or wrong and I’m not agreeing with it or condoning it (also not disagreeing or denouncing it), but I can understand it.

I don’t understand how Greenpeace can be considered an eco-terrorist organization. There are plenty of criticisms you could make about them, but they are not eco-terrorists.

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see Cousteau on the list...

This guy too...

Only god and maybe my mom know how many hours I spent as a kid watching the Calypso, that weird chopper with yellow floats and those men in frogmen suits pioneering and exploring the seas. What an admiration for that french man who by himself so bravely brought the entire worlds attention into the ocean. A true inspiration to all of us. But as much as he represented his work, everything circled around that one man, with his death much of that presence is gone, in my opinion. The Cousteau name still strongly echoes respect for the sea and all forms of life but his legacy hardly continues with the same greatness. From what I could understand on their website they're more dedicated to exploration and awareness than actually action to revert or increment. They have a few interesting and relevant programs for sure, and like I said its better to have anyone doing anything than otherwise, but I dont think they can be considered one of the top conservation organizations. Still, everyone deserves a chance and I would add them if I could. I'm sure I left some other good guys behind, sorry for that.

Mr. Rodney Fox has an interesting story, from spearing fish to being speared by a great white. But apparently he has profited from exploring fish and specially sharks more than actually being out there for their sake. Although there's a positive outcome nevertheless as sharks get a bad reputation wrongfully because humans fear what they dont know, so bringing people in contact with sharks surely brings understanding of the animal and removes the instinctive fear of them which in turns promotes their well-being. His research by tagging sharks to understand their behavior is also valid and is one of the most common forms of research. But he still is a for profit company focused solely on great white sharks and I would like to keep this research focused on those organizations born to protect in a broad form.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand why Sea Shepherd are considered eco-terrorists. While I don’t agree with everything they’ve done/do, I do think there is some nobility in some of the actions they’ve taken. But if they are eco-terrorists, then I think it’s fair to also call the whalers eco-terrorists (though they’re on the opposite side of the coin), they’ve engaged in just as much property destruction, targeted violence, and broken just as many laws (plus they kill whales). I also think that a fair question to ask is how long do conservationists/activists wait for practices such as whaling to be ended legally before taking direct action? How many species going extinct while we wait for certain governments to get it together is acceptable? 1? 20? All of them? I guess my question is when is direct action justified? I’m not asking that rhetorically, I really don’t know the answer. But I can understand why some people don’t think waiting is an option and are willing to take direct action, I don’t know if it’s right or wrong and I’m not agreeing with it or condoning it (also not disagreeing or denouncing it), but I can understand it.

I don’t understand how Greenpeace can be considered an eco-terrorist organization. There are plenty of criticisms you could make about them, but they are not eco-terrorists.
I guess you'll have to ask the FBI, they're the ones who put them on the list.

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol well yes and no… I was referring to ocean rescue alliance not oceans, reef, and aquariums. I can see how that was confusing
Lol, well I guess both ORAs are doing a good job. In the future ALL marine life will have to be captive bred to be commercialized, fish and corals.
Pretty cool those statues the other ORA places underwater for coral to grow on. They're actually starting a new deployment site at Dania Beach later this month. They focus solely on reef restoration and have a strong pitch on marketing their products. They also have quite a few good partners. Its a smart way to help, reefs need all the help they can get. I wish I had found them before and added them to the list...thanks for the info!

Back