Which kind of clam would be the best clam to start with?

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend really wants to get a clam, we are going to be attending a large annual aquarium expo this month and will be shopping for a clam. What would be the easiest variety to start out with? Maxima,derasa?

I should have adequate lighing arctic revive T247 leds with a 2T5 fixture to supplement. I also dose Cal,alk,mag as needed to keep levels up.

What else do they need to be a happy clam?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend a deresa as well then a squamosa. Both can be kept on the sand bed with adequate lighting. Some nutrients in the water, indirect flow and stable chemistry will keep the clam happy. Try to avoid any clam under 3". Make sure it has a stimulant response to shadows by waving your hand over the top of the clam. As they grow they can deplete calcium quickly so be prepared to test and dose regularly. I'd also recommend looking up James fatheree, he's got great articles on clam husbandry.

OP
OP
bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Derasa, especially aquacultured specimens are the best for first timers.

Any other tips for success? For the price of clams I don't want to kill it haha. Should I start it in low light and then gradually move it towards the center to higher light? or is it best to put it where I think it will be best and not keep moving it too much?

OP
OP
bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend a deresa as well then a squamosa. Both can be kept on the sand bed with adequate lighting. Some nutrients in the water, indirect flow and stable chemistry will keep the clam happy. Try to avoid any clam under 3". Make sure it has a stimulant response to shadows by waving your hand over the top of the clam. As they grow they can deplete calcium quickly so be prepared to test and dose regularly. I'd also recommend looking up James fatheree, he's got great articles on clam husbandry.

Thanks DSC! will look up James Fatheree!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other tips for success? For the price of clams I don't want to kill it haha. Should I start it in low light and then gradually move it towards the center to higher light? or is it best to put it where I think it will be best and not keep moving it too much?
All of what @DSC reef suggested is very sound advice. I'll also add that a filter feeder diet will benefit the clam as well and be careful about what sort of fish you keep with it. I would acclimate it slowly but its going to need a pretty good light source to give it adequate lighting conditions at the bottom of the tank. Not sure on the exact par levels so I would research that some more if I were you.

OP
OP
bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of what @DSC reef suggested is very sound advice. I'll also add that a filter feeder diet will benefit the clam as well and be careful about what sort of fish you keep with it. I would acclimate it slowly but its going to need a pretty good light source to give it adequate lighting conditions at the bottom of the tank. Not sure on the exact par levels so I would research that some more if I were you.

Do I need to worry about my six line wrasse? I read that some wrasses will nip at the mantle. Other than that all my fish are peaceful and I don't have any crabs or shrimp.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just consider tank size also. Although Derasa's and Squamies are the easier to keep clams they grow fast and in a small water volume you can habe pretty serious issues trying keep alk and cal balanced and stable. Before I upgraded my 125 i used to have run my cal reactor wide open.

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about Sixlines, but I have a tank full of fairies, flashers, Leopards, and Halichoeres wrasses, and none of them so much as just peck at the mantles once in a blue moon, out of curiosity. I agree with a Derasa, they are hardy, and need less light.

With any clam though, it's crucial to give it a comfortable welcome in the tank to give it time to strengthen up and be resistant to stress. A lot of deaths seem to occur in the initial introduction in the tank, or in the week after as the owners mess around with moving the clam too much.

I'm sure that Reef Stock will have a selection of either Squamosas or Derasas, although the majority of vendors will likely carry mostly Maximas and Croceas. You'll be facing me if you are also eyeing a Maxima or Crocea, lol.

OP
OP
bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do take up a lot of calcium but I kept our squamosa from 3" to 12" in a 75 gallon and never have used a calcium reactor. Definitley good to understand thete needs though. Dosing is usually a must especially once they get growing.

Thanks for the info guys! I have more than a couple years worth of bulk 2 part. Maybe this will help me use it up. Also from my research I think I will supplement some phyto and I already feed reef roids to most of my corals so I think we should be good to go. Im also running a bare bottom tank so was thinking about picking up one of those clam hammocks from BRS to help keep it upright and give it something to attach to.

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info guys! I have more than a couple years worth of bulk 2 part. Maybe this will help me use it up. Also from my research I think I will supplement some phyto and I already feed reef roids to most of my corals so I think we should be good to go. Im also running a bare bottom tank so was thinking about picking up one of those clam hammocks from BRS to help keep it upright and give it something to attach to.

Just don't target feed the clams the Reef Roids, I've heard of people killing their clams this way, they can't take in the particles, it's too big for them.

reefruss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wanted to add a clam to my display but I have doubts that I can provide enough light in my 30" deep tank. It's a 90 gallon tank with a AI52 running at 45% max. but I worry about the depth.

Sodaman227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clams in my tank.. Why does everyone put clams at the bottom of the tank? I have 7 Watts per gallon of led lights.. Both clams are at the very top of my tank.. They are getting bigger by the day.. I also feed them reef roids too..

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clams in my tank.. Why does everyone put clams at the bottom of the tank? I have 7 Watts per gallon of led lights.. Both clams are at the very top of my tank.. They are getting bigger by the day.. I also feed them reef roids too..
It depends what species of clams your keeping. Not all clams are rock borers and should be placed on the sand bed or there lighting requirements are different. You really don't need to feed your clam but broadcast feeding won't hurt.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wanted to add a clam to my display but I have doubts that I can provide enough light in my 30" deep tank. It's a 90 gallon tank with a AI52 running at 45% max. but I worry about the depth.
I'm not familiar with that led as far as par goes but at 30" deep you might need 2 fixtures.

OP
OP
bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about Sixlines, but I have a tank full of fairies, flashers, Leopards, and Halichoeres wrasses, and none of them so much as just peck at the mantles once in a blue moon, out of curiosity. I agree with a Derasa, they are hardy, and need less light.

With any clam though, it's crucial to give it a comfortable welcome in the tank to give it time to strengthen up and be resistant to stress. A lot of deaths seem to occur in the initial introduction in the tank, or in the week after as the owners mess around with moving the clam too much.

I'm sure that Reef Stock will have a selection of either Squamosas or Derasas, although the majority of vendors will likely carry mostly Maximas and Croceas. You'll be facing me if you are also eyeing a Maxima or Crocea, lol.

Haha you won't be facing me you'll be dealing with her!

OP
OP
bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I stay away from the derasa even though it is the easiest to keep because I dont have a sand bed?
I would need one of the rock dwelling species in this case I think

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I stay away from the derasa even though it is the easiest to keep because I dont have a sand bed?
I would need one of the rock dwelling species in this case I think
Bare bottom is fine. I believe you can buy clam hammocks or use a piece of liverork with an indent. I've never had a problem keeping a clam on the glass though.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back