Which Light for Black Friday? Radion G6 Pro or Neptune Sky?

Which Fixture for SPS / Mixed Tank?

• Radion G6 Pro

Votes: 25 69.4%
  • Neptune Sky

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new Planet Aquariums 5'x2'x2' Rimless tank will arrive soon. And I am going to purchase lights during Black Friday. Both my choices have similar discounts. So, it's time to choose!...

Which would you choose for a mixed tank with SPS mostly on top? Radion G6 Pro or Neptune Sky?

I already have an Apex controller. My powerheads are Vortech.

Please vote and add comments if you like!

Reefi uno 2.0 Pro would be my buy over either of those and it’s no contest.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefi uno 2.0 Pro would be my buy over either of those and it’s no contest.

Yes, and no. If one doesn't like the spectrum there would be a contest as there are better choices. Thus the question asked earlier if they have a spectrum preference. Sort of important to know. It is like buying the Coral Care Gen 2 light and being upset that you lose PAR because you shut down half the white channels for the AB+++++++ look.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and no. If one doesn't like the spectrum there would be a contest as there are better choices. Thus the question asked earlier if they have a spectrum preference. Sort of important to know. It is like buying the Coral Care Gen 2 light and being upset that you lose PAR because you shut down half the white channels for the AB+++++++ look.

yah you can’t always comfortably shut down half the channels on radion because it’s a bit limited in power. Uno is more like xr30 at xr15 price so more room to dim what you want.

My guess if they want it to work with Apex and hence only those two listed. Considering a person doesn’t need to tweek lights a lot, it’s not something I would list high in my priorities though.

I think maybe OP should expand the options :)

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No suggestion just a reminder --
The Sky, Stratton & Phillips lights are made to resemble t-5 lighting.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple G5 Radions and have never had any issues with the app. I also have a Vectra and 2 Versas (also on Mobius). No issues there either. I noticed improved coral growth and coloration when I went to Radions. My experience with the Sky light boils down to talking with the design engineer at Reefstock and looking at the light on display there. Spread is very good. No doubt about that. I was surprised at the completely flat T5 look. Build quality is higher with the Radion's. Check out Telegrahms Y/T channel for a break down. I have used T5s, Kessils, ReefBrites and CCG2s personally, and everything grows corals. It all boils down to spectrum and spread and par. All these lights can achieve this with the right quantity and mounting option. Reefing is inherently aesthetic in nature. Some people don't like a ton of gear hanging above their tanks; also a consideration.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No suggestion just a reminder --
The Sky, Stratton & Phillips lights are made to resemble t-5 lighting.

Are the Skys as flat as T5s?

Will Radions have more shimmer than the Sky?

I am not looking for Kessil level shimmer but I want something less flat than my T5.

I also would like good controllability. For example, I like the idea of quickly switching the sky to photo mode for taking pictures.

chrisriker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a pair of Sky's in my living room right now and am going through the same quarrel in my head now that Radions are also on sale. Seems like the only negative things people have to say surrounding Skys are the Telegraham video, which is fair enough, but does it really matter in terms of longevity? I suppose we won't know until these lights get a bit older.

****** software is one of my biggest pet peeves, so that shies me away from the Radions, though I plan to run Ecotech pumps on my tank so I'll have Mobius on my phone anyway...

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I went with Radion.
I've used every fixture they've come out with and I like them.
I'm not not much of a fan with Mobius, mostly because I hate using phone after using my computer all these years.
I really don't have any issue logging into the app. Works for me every time. But I'm the type that will set a program and then leave it alone.

martyharris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Neptune sky’s for mine when they were 25% off my corals look to be doing a lot better and are growing already I love that is doesn’t shimmer like my old ones

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefi Uno 2.0

It's not even close between these and the radions/skys you were considering. The only aspect that I think it is lacking in is the visual prettyness of the app you use to program. I think the radions look a little nicer and the skys look a little worse (the units themselves, not the light they put out). In every aspect of performance, I think the reefis are superior.

If you're deadset agains the reefis for whatever reason, I prefer the radions, mostly for their build quality.

OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reefi Uno 2.0

It's not even close between these and the radions/skys you were considering. The only aspect that I think it is lacking in is the visual prettyness of the app you use to program. I think the radions look a little nicer and the skys look a little worse (the units themselves, not the light they put out). In every aspect of performance, I think the reefis are superior.

If you're deadset agains the reefis for whatever reason, I prefer the radions, mostly for their build quality.

thanks for your comments. To be honest, I had not even heard of reefi until this thread. I’ll look into them though. Thanks

OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK, I've been doing a bit more research. I am now leaning towards the Radions. However I am also thinking about adding a Kessil or two for some shimmer. So maybe two XR15 Blues with a Kessil A360x in the middle (or two if needed.). Or maybe two XR15 with two A80? My tank is 60"x24"x24" so I am not exactly sure of qty I would need. Again, mixed tank with SPS at the top. Any thoughts on these options? Thanks!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My radions have some shimmer. It just isn’t super aggressive like kessil but not at all flat like my T5s were.

I have two xr15 on a 4 foot and would ideally use 3 with SPS. I wouldn’t use A80 since they are so weak and I feel like two radions isn’t enough for a 60 inch tank and A80s don’t offer enough punch on a 24 inch deep tank to count for much of anything.

My tank is only 16 inch deep as well.

OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My radions have some shimmer. It just isn’t super aggressive like kessil but not at all flat like my T5s were.

I have two xr15 on a 4 foot and would ideally use 3 with SPS. I wouldn’t use A80 since they are so weak and I feel like two radions isn’t enough for a 60 inch tank and A80s don’t offer enough punch on a 24 inch deep tank to count for much of anything.

My tank is only 16 inch deep as well.

thanks for this. So if I wanted the kessils then two xr15 and two a360? Or just Radions 3 xr15? Thanks!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back