Which lighting is good for my 1 year old 30 gallon tank?

Imanewreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been keeping a tank for about a year now and I have been using a cheap $50 less amazon fish tank light. I recently got some zoanthids and I'll need better lights. Any reccomendations? I watched a video about the AI Prime light which is like $200 but i read some reviews about the app not working correctly. MH lights and T5s are supposedly good so should I buy those? I'm looking for rather inexpensive lights like maybe $250-300. Are any of these two cheap lights any good (from Amazon) or should i get some better lights.

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I got two of these lights (link), and they have performed really well for me especially considering the $50 price point. The only thing is they won't clamp to a rimmed tank.

OP
OP
I

Imanewreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I got two of these lights (link), and they have performed really well for me especially considering the $50 price point. The only thing is they won't clamp to a rimmed tank.
Oh cool so would u choose this over other ones? Like I'm looking for a light that will last me, well, forever. I already know that most of the saltwater lights are expensive so would this be the right option? I am hoping to grow coral under it.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hipargero is popular. I have one... It worked over a 10g to keep things for QT so I can't say long term but there are people on YouTube who have succeeded.

If you have a 36x12x16 tank I don't know that it would have the punch for the bottom.

Lominine are interesting, not much posted about them from my research. Probably need more than the 20 watt though.

I think many would tell you to get the Viperspectra Chinese black box. BRS did a video about the BBs not that long ago.

If you can swing $300 though I would find two used AI 16HD which are running near enough that price for a pair.

This hobby is largely about visuals and growth... Invest in what does those two things the best.

smol_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a viparspectra 165w over my 30 gal and it seems to be doing pretty well. I think I got it for around $100 on ebay new

Back