Which med works for ich ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Canada so here is what I can get in a few days :

- kordon copper aid (chelated copper sulfate)
- Kordon rid-ich plus
- Fritz paracleanse (expensive)

Would any of those work ?

Thanks

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

- Kordon rid-ich plus

Thanks
Any copper product should do the job but you have to QT the fish and maintain the copper concentration at the correct level

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you can try dosing hydrogen peroxide to the tank (at the correct conservative dose) and that will give the fish an opportunity to build up immunity although it won't eradicate the ich completely

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

- Kordon rid-ich plus

Thanks
Skip peroxide- Rarely works
None of these are best choices but understanding the regulation sin Canada of all listed, the chelated copper will be best.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

- Kordon rid-ich plus

Thanks

You can also do tank transfer method if you have space/time to do so. Requires no meds.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you can try dosing hydrogen peroxide to the tank (at the correct conservative dose) and that will give the fish an opportunity to build up immunity although it won't eradicate the ich completely
I’ve been treating with Polyp lab medic for 6-7 days now. I understand it’s some kind of peroxyde salt.

The fish doesn’t show ich in the morning but there is more and more during the day. Is that immunity building up ?

You can also do tank transfer method if you have space/time to do so. Requires no meds.
I hadn’t thought of that. It’s certainly an option to consider.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Fish are extremely vulnerable to environmental stimulation and produce oxidative stress. Among them, hydrogen peroxide is an oxidative stress source that cannot be ignored in fish, which can cause physical disorders,inflammation and even death"-https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1050464822005046

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Fish are extremely vulnerable to environmental stimulation and produce oxidative stress. Among them, hydrogen peroxide is an oxidative stress source that cannot be ignored in fish, which can cause physical disorders,inflammation and even death"-https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1050464822005046
Did you actually read the paper? I don't think anyone would advocate for injecting hydrogen peroxide into the fish as was done in this study... furthermore, this was a study aimed to evaluate the effectiveness of taurine to combat oxidative stress, not to evaluate oxidative stress and subsequent issues pertaining to it.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure whatever copper product you go with that you are able to properly measure it.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been treating with Polyp lab medic for 6-7 days now. I understand it’s some kind of peroxyde salt.

The fish doesn’t show ich in the morning but there is more and more during the day. Is that immunity building up ?

Polyp Lab Medic is a very weak peroxide salt which has worked for some people and not for others. Like i said in my first post, copper is the only true "cure" though. Many people including myself have had success with dosing hydrogen peroxide though which is why I mentioned it.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Source on success of using H2O2 to treat velvet in marine fish: https://www.researchgate.net/public...n_the_Pacific_Threadfin_Polydactylus_sexfilis

"In the laboratory trial, treatment with 300 mg/L hydrogen peroxide resulted in 100% mortality of the exposed group of fish. However, single treatments with hydrogen peroxide at concentrations of 75 or 150 mg/L eliminated Amyloodinium sp. trophonts without causing loss of fish. In the field trial, a single treatment with 75 mg/L hydrogen peroxide greatly reduced levels of Amyloodinium infestation, and a second treatment 6 d later reduced Amyloodinium trophonts to a nondetectable level. These findings suggest that hydrogen peroxide is a suitable chemical for the treatment of amyloodiniasis of cultured, juvenile Pacific threadfin."

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp Lab Medic is a very weak peroxide salt which has worked for some people and not for others. Like i said in my first post, copper is the only true "cure" though. Many people including myself have had success with dosing hydrogen peroxide though which is why I mentioned it.

Ich has a well known life cycle. If you have the opportunity to quarantine any infected or potentially infected fish from a display, or before they are added to display, and then disrupt their reproductive cycle using tank transfer method, and allow a possibly infected tank to be fish free for the proper time period, you can also cure fish. Copper isn't the only true cure, though I agree with what you've said about copper and peroxide.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich has a well known life cycle. If you have the opportunity to quarantine any infected or potentially infected fish from a display, or before they are added to display, and then disrupt their reproductive cycle using tank transfer method, and allow a possibly infected tank to be fish free for the proper time period, you can also cure fish. Copper isn't the only true cure, though I agree with what you've said about copper and peroxide.
Oh really? I actually wasn't aware of that! TTM isn't something I've really explored tbh... another tool for the arsenal!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Many trophants go dormant just like flagellates and as the day goes along return often in numbers

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Source on success of using H2O2 to treat velvet in marine fish: https://www.researchgate.net/public...n_the_Pacific_Threadfin_Polydactylus_sexfilis

"In the laboratory trial, treatment with 300 mg/L hydrogen peroxide resulted in 100% mortality of the exposed group of fish. However, single treatments with hydrogen peroxide at concentrations of 75 or 150 mg/L eliminated Amyloodinium sp. trophonts without causing loss of fish. In the field trial, a single treatment with 75 mg/L hydrogen peroxide greatly reduced levels of Amyloodinium infestation, and a second treatment 6 d later reduced Amyloodinium trophonts to a nondetectable level. These findings suggest that hydrogen peroxide is a suitable chemical for the treatment of amyloodiniasis of cultured, juvenile Pacific threadfin."
That paper gets cited all the time, but it is high dose, short duration peroxide and them moving the fish to a new tank…it doesn’t really apply to low dose constant peroxide baths in aquariums.
Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back