Which MH/T5 combo for growth and color

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phoenix or Ushio 14 k would.me.my bulb of choice for good colors and growth. If u need more growth then maybe a 10-12 K bulb would be best

Deaf clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Little over 2 months
Screenshot_20171118-200234.png
20171112_123700.jpg
Holy smokes! That is some mad growth! I assume you run a calcium reactor too?

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking that even running all 17.5k Giesemann MH would give you what you want. The lineup of Giesemann bulbs always seem to have a crisp white. At one point or another, I have ran the 14.5k, 17.5k and 21k on my tank... along with Giesemann Actinic Blue T5s. I am currently running the Radium 20k with the Actinic Blue T5s.... but I don't run them all at once per say.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, I've been running the T5s fro 2 hours before the MH come on and 2 hours after they go off the reefbrites are the first on and last off. once I get the new bulbs I'll probably change this arrangement and run the T5s longer, but then again with the 800W of 14K and 400W Radium they may not need any help except for viewing time

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think 20k produces slower growth than 14k?
The lower the kelvin the more PAR is my understanding, like I stated earlier, I had read a lot about the Aquaconnect 10k and that it was the bulb of choice for fantastic growth

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giesemann MH are like gold a bit expensive even at 15% discount, but I have heard that they last longer. If that is true it might justify the cost

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lower the kelvin the more PAR is my understanding, like I stated earlier, I had read a lot about the Aquaconnect 10k and that it was the bulb of choice for fantastic growth
Maybe in metal halide but not t5, atis blue plus is their highest par bulb I believe.

Last edited:

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my mistake I thought you were referring to MH
I probably should have been lol, I'm a little tired. With all the blue light going around these days there is a lot of debate on this topic across all types of lighting. I'm always curious to hear people's opinions/experiences. Watch tulio del aquilas (spelling?) talk on lighting from macna, he'll make you even more confused. Basically explains how kelvin means nothing for us and that two completely different light sources could have the same kelvin rating, or something like that. Interesting talk but just kind of went in circles.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably should have been lol, I'm a little tired. With all the blue light going around these days there is a lot of debate on this topic across all types of lighting. I'm always curious to hear people's opinions/experiences. Watch tulio del aquilas (spelling?) talk on lighting from macna, he'll make you even more confused. Basically explains how kelvin means nothing for us and that two completely different light sources could have the same kelvin rating, or something like that. Interesting talk but just kind of went in circles.
He had little time to tell us all he wanted. That was too bad!!!
I understand what you're saying. I feel the same way when I watch the video. LOL!
That guy likes halides!
Grandis.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He had little time to tell us all he wanted. That was too bad!!!
I understand what you're saying. I feel the same way when I watch the video. LOL!
That guy likes halides!
Grandis.
Haha yup. It was a great talk, and the guy clearly knows his stuff, but it didn't really have structure. A lot of interesting info for sure though. I kept waiting for him to bring it all together somehow.......but nah, mic drop.

Ztrain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been experimenting with Reefbrites Twin-Arc. Has a 10k and a 20k lamp in them. I have it on 10k during the mid day while I'm at work and then later on it switches to 20k for me to look at.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been experimenting with Reefbrites Twin-Arc. Has a 10k and a 20k lamp in them. I have it on 10k during the mid day while I'm at work and then later on it switches to 20k for me to look at.
Sweet bulbs, my lfs runs those + reefbrites and I love how that tank looks. Great growth n coloration as well.

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Radium 20k one Ushio 14k
Four ATI blue plus
IMG_1363.JPG
Love the look of the tank now, colors appear to have more pop, water looks clear instead of blue

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back