Which of these two Damsel fish are less aggressive?The Azure OR Yellow tail Damsel? !PLEASE READ!

whataday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon tank and I want to add two fish *of one type* either the Azure or Yellow tail Damsel, as the last inhabitants. Or maybe just one fish instead of two..What ever would be better... I already have a pair of Ocellaris Clowns, a Yellow Goby, and two Firefish.
Im wondering which of these two types of Damsel is most recommended for a community tank, I have already ready these are the least aggressive of the Damsels, and I think they are just gorgeous! I have put a lot of money into my tank (which any fellow reefer understands) I don't want to mess things up here by adding the wrong fish.. Please give me some suggestions and your thoughts, experiences, and opinions..Thanks!

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd skip them both especially with the firefish in there BUT if you must have one then the Azure may be the better choice. Having kept both the yellow tail and the Azure, in my experience the Azure was the least aggressive of the two. They are beautiful fish and least aggressive of the damsels but least aggressive is still very aggressive as far as damsels go.

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am one of the rare reefers that do damsels. I can tell you this, my pair of yellow tails even nip at my hand when I put it near "their" rock... I love it.

m0nk3y69d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue damssel and he shairs his rock with my false pec clown and the folow each other around and he can be agresive tword my seabe clown but for the most part i dont see him as a agresive fish at all but thats just me lol

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you put damsels in a reef tank? Have you ever tried catching a fish in a reef? What if the damsel picks on your other fish and stesses them out. They can be quite agressive. Why take that chance?

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels are a love / hate species. I enjoy their feisty attitudes & colors. But if you do a damsel tank you have to choose your other fish carefully.

OP
OP
whataday

whataday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd skip them both especially with the firefish in there BUT if you must have one then the Azure may be the better choice. Having kept both the yellow tail and the Azure, in my experience the Azure was the least aggressive of the two. They are beautiful fish and least aggressive of the damsels but least aggressive is still very aggressive as far as damsels go.

I may consider taking the firefish back..Im not sure yet, if I do decide to try the Azure would you think it would be a better idea to keep a single one or got with two?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one. Two would be tough. If you want to attempt two then add them at the same time.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I "installed" my damsels in pairs. ... for whatever it is worth. With exception of my Three Bar... I made sure he was larger than the other two pairs, and it worked. I later attempted to add a new pair of yellow tails and had to quickly capture them and return them to the LFS to save their lives.

Last edited:
OP
OP
whataday

whataday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I "installed" my damsels in pairs. ... for whatever it is worth. With exception of my Three Bar... I made sure he was larger than the other two pairs, and it worked. I later attempted to add a new pair of yellow tails and had to quickly capture them and return them to the LFS to save their lives.
Yea, im hoping by waiting and adding them last they want be so aggressive...
Just for me to be clear, the Azures tend to be the least aggressive correct? And are they less aggressive being single or in pairs?

OP
OP
whataday

whataday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you put damsels in a reef tank? Have you ever tried catching a fish in a reef? What if the damsel picks on your other fish and stesses them out. They can be quite agressive. Why take that chance?
Im considering it because they are gorgeous hardy fish, and they are also reef safe. Just got to figure out what best can live with them...

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, im hoping by waiting and adding them last they want be so aggressive...
Just for me to be clear, the Azures tend to be the least aggressive correct? And are they less aggressive being single or in pairs?

I am not convinced if single or pairs makes a difference. My reason for a pair is so they are with one of their own kind. .. I dauh know if the Azures is any different. I have never had one.

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im considering it because they are gorgeous hardy fish, and they are also reef safe. Just got to figure out what best can live with them...

That is interesting because it is exactly why I have them. Plus, their feisty nature.

EDIT: my other pair are Talbot's Damsels, silver with a yellow top and fin, and with blue bottom fins.

FYI:
I have a pair of them, a pair of yellow tails, and a larger three bar.
I keep them in my 90 main display with a lavender tang, a pair of clowns, and a tail spot blenny.

Then there are the cuc, two Emerald Crabs, and a pair of skunk cleaner shrimps.

Everybody gets along fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
whataday

whataday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is interesting because it is exactly why I have them. Plus, their feisty nature.

EDIT: my other pair are Talbot's Damsels, silver with a yellow top and fin, and with blue bottom fins.

FYI:
I have a pair of them, a pair of yellow tails, and a larger three bar.
I keep them in my 90 main display with a lavender tang, a pair of clowns, and a tail spot blenny.

Then there are the cuc, two Emerald Crabs, and a pair of skunk cleaner shrimps.

Everybody gets along fine.

Thanks fragmatic, that does encourage me to give a couple Azures or yellow tails a try. I know I will add them absolutely last in my tank cause I have read this helps. I guess i'm most worried about my firefish....Im sure my Ocellaris pair will do just fine with them and the goby should do ok also.
On a side note, I was just reading about the blue Chromis, not the green kind. I have never seen one at my LFS before. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've said this before on another thread but I have a yellow tail damsel. It's a heathen! It's a good thing it's tiny. He nips at my hand which I don't mind. He doesn't bother the coral, but he is relentlessly chasing the other fish, regardless of size.

OP
OP
whataday

whataday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
whataday

whataday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, yesterday while I was at my LFS I learned about a new type of Damsel fish, well its not actually new, just new to me... Its the Chrysiptera springeri...
Why do these guys never get mentioned in the forums? I have done a lot of research in the last few weeks on the less aggressive damsel fish and I never found a thing on these.
The LFS lady said she never had any experience with the Sprineri's be aggressive and she keeps several in each one of her coral tanks cause there suppose to eats some type of worm or something (cant remember what she said they would eat) that was bad for coral.
I wrote down there name and came back home and start doing some reading on them. There are listed as peaceful! What a surprise to me. Have any of you had the Springeri damsel before?

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all up to the fish. I have a blue damselfish, a yellow damsel, & a bluefin damsel in with a maroon clown in a 75 gal. They seem ok they only chase the blue damsel the most.

Reefkeeper12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 260 gallon I doubt a few damsels will upset my reef tank balance.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back