Which of your healthy fish swim backwards?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little lemon damsel is the boss of my Evo, and makes regular patrols of the entire tank even though it's got its own "cave" underneath a clump of wayward zoas. While it does propel itself forward most of the time, I've noticed that it is incredibly nimble and swims backwards (with precision) for extended periods. I'm assuming it does this because it doesn't have any larger competition (potential predators) in the tank that it has to keep an eye on.

I know that some fish, such as a few species of triggerfish, also swim backwards, but I haven't seen any of the other fish in my tanks, including the filefish, swim backwards to do anything more than back up out of a tight space. Does anyone else have a fish that swims backward in the open water column?

kristic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Bicolor Blenny that loves to swim backwards through this one small hole in my main rock grouping. He'll go backwards, through the hole and then all the way around the rock and do it again. It's really odd and very entertaining. It's like his own personal trick.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back