Which one is better then the other?

Discussion in 'Reef LED Lights' started by Doop, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Doop

Doop Member

I have a 46 gallon bow front I’m trying to put together, my question is which of these lights would be better? I plan on having some nems in the future and soft corals. I’m learning the do’s and don’ts but trying my hardest to not spend a fortune so far and upgrade later when I get a bigger tank and have a little more experience with saltwater.
    I just received my ro/di so im on the water just need some advice on lights around that price range. I know the tank is 36” long and I believe it’s 24” deep. Thanks for some help! IMG_4375.JPG[​IMG]

Tags:

2. ReefInskeep

ReefInskeep Member CIRS Member

The orbit will have better spread but significantly lower PAR. I’d go with the black box, and if you need to later on add a second one for spread and more consistent PAR. Look up BRSTV’s video on black box LED’s to get an idea of the coverage.

I’d actually recommend you spend just a little more and get a better light. Otherwise in a year or two you’ll kick your own *** & spend the money anyway. SB Reef Lights are affordable and good, get a 32” model that actually has enough spread for your tank. You won’t get much better without spending a lot more. Or go with a solid reliable 4-6 bulb T5 fixture and only change bulbs every 18 months or so. BRS investigates recently debunked the 1 year bulb replacement thing for ATI bulbs.

Doop and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  3. Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton Well-Known Member

I used the Currents when I first started and was disspointed, I would go with the Black Box LED and if you have a higher budget I would go with the Orphek Atlantik V4

Doop and ReefInskeep like this.
  4. ReefLEDLights

ReefLEDLights Valuable Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

This is the Sponsor Forum of ReefLEDLights.com Creators and Manufacturer of the Sirius XTC... Made/Manufactured In USA...

We have done a lot of research and homework to include dissecting many LED Fixtures.

It is my personal opinion that any fixture that does not use UL/CE listed parts and to take this deeper to specifically include Import Black Box Fixtures which have been to known to use unlabeled/generic electrical components with no serial/part number is simply compromising safety....

Bill

Draft saved Draft deleted