Which powerheads are the best in 2018

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for the gyre type pumps and if buying new you shouldn't be a problem as it was the first ones out that some people were having the odd problem with. I don't like the ecotech range and I only have one as I was given it's noisy I can't run it at over 50% or it makes a that much noise it becomes unbearable to me the only good thing a out them is the external cable. The gyre has a good solid magnet that holds it securely to your tank they are highly controllable DC electrics and give a good wide movement of water mine I would have over any other.

Plummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquamedic ecodrift hands down awesome so many control options also, I have mine at full speed and cannot hear them easy to clean and moves a TON of water

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I'll ever use anything but Vortechs because they are so ridiculously easy to clean. Keep a spare wet side or two and you just swap them out, then vinegar bath for 24 hours and the thing is ready to go for the next time.

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up to earlier post as a side note to gyres, just cleaning mine for first time and had bad noise when I put back into tank. It was totally my fault not assembling back 100% correctly. I fixed the issue and now it runs great!

Any noise issues could have just been assembly. Really love the sheet of flow this pump provides and am using 3k on 75 gallon 4’x18” deep tank.

I run on a pulse, 10% to 80% every 1.4 sec. I can see the gyre when feeding through the whole tank. I did add one of the Jeabo pumps back opposite of the gyre just to have an increased flow towards the bottom rear.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 120gl ( now down & for sale in the equipment thread) & 185gl I have used Hydors, gyres & now Eco-tek 40QDs, the 40QDs are the quietest & I like the fact no wires in the tank. I did like the Gyres but when my big carpet got caught in it (climb 18/20" up the side of the tank it was to difficult to get him out of the flow grate) I decided to get the eco=teks because I could just grab the in water part & quickly remove it/stop the prop to cut down on time if something like this happened again. Lost the carpet.

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch! Sorry to hear about the carpet nem. The actually have a mesh screen to go over cages now. Assuming that could help.

Coral Passion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After half a dozen Jebao died on me over the last 18 months I decided to go for a Tunze Stream 3 as it has a 5 year warranty. Might be a little to powerful for a 40g though.
f4c8a5b49322ffe27b0aede4a797a69c.jpg

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch! Sorry to hear about the carpet nem. The actually have a mesh screen to go over cages now. Assuming that could help.
Thanks
the covers that come with the gyres have pretty small slits but he managed to get his foot thru them anyways.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recliner is so close to my tank I can touch it & I can't here my Vortec 40QDs at all, not even at highest setting.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the gyres on my tank. Yes at the higher speeds they can bea little noisy at first. However they do settle down. At least mine did, you could always run them on a slower speed. Which will make them nearly silent.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would vote for maxspect gyre without reservations.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not like Gyre - too static of flow... some of my colonies started to "lean" as they grew. Gyre does move a lot of water, but it is not the right kind of flow for me. I typically use Tunze stuff - decades of use. I recommend them very much. I also like AquaMedic EcoDrift if Tunze are too pricey - they move a LOT of water and are quiet and so far OK in 3 years of use. EcoDrift are nicely priced between Tunze and the Cheap Chineese Knockoffs but also have USA Support and Warranty out of Colorado.

FWIW - I will not use any Jeabo stuff. I do not support patent/IP stealing companies no matter how cheap their products end up being.

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyre is now my choice. Too many issues and failures with the ecotech and I have used the 10's, 40's, and 60's.

Excellent choice! I hesitated for awhile but am super happy I finally got one. I can honestly say that my corals are showing a positive affect with the increased flow patterns. The effects on the tank appearance are also nice as well because the increased flow has stirred up much detritus keeping things clean.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for the gyre type pumps and if buying new you shouldn't be a problem as it was the first ones out that some people were having the odd problem with. I don't like the ecotech range and I only have one as I was given it's noisy I can't run it at over 50% or it makes a that much noise it becomes unbearable to me the only good thing a out them is the external cable. The gyre has a good solid magnet that holds it securely to your tank they are highly controllable DC electrics and give a good wide movement of water mine I would have over any other.

Gyre creates awesome flow but the maintenance is the deal breaker for me. After owning three pairs for a year I finally gave up. A pair takes a good 30 minutes to clean every month or the flow is reduced significantly.

Dyakov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyre creates awesome flow but the maintenance is the deal breaker for me. After owning three pairs for a year I finally gave up. A pair takes a good 30 minutes to clean every month or the flow is reduced significantly.

I agree, Gyre require monthly cleaning which is sometimes is hassle. I love Tunze 6095 workhorse, you can adjust the flow anyway you want and its maintenance free for almost 8 month since I installed.

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've had my cp20 running for about 18 months now and I have yet to clean it I switch it into reverse mode every now and then for an hour and that's all it gets and it gets switched off for water changes but I've never stripped it down. I think that the less I put my hands in the water the less chance there is of contamination so I really go into the tank with my hands. I use a length of 6mm perspex that's an inch wide to turn the sand bed over at least once a week that's all that goes in.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always gone with TUNZE pumps as long as i CAN remember being in this hobby!
If you're looking for a very reliable powerhead, I WOULD recommend either going with the Tunze Turbelle NanoStream 6055 Controllable Pump or a EocTech Vortech MP10wqd..
In my opinion, these are the two best Powerheads on the market!

NanoStream 6055 Controllable Pump
Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 12.02.31 PM.png

EocTech Vortech MP10wqd
Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 12.05.19 PM.png

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody try the aquami KPS yet? I just ordered one with my marine depot points and only paid out of pocket 30.00. I guess for that price I can loose and after reading using an apple device fixes connectivity issues. I would like feedback though

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back