Which product is right for "cooking" (cycling, seasoning), etc my rock?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tampa Bay Saltwater!

I'm in the process of getting my Caribsea Liferock ready for my tank. At the moment it's in a covered Rubbermaid trough and I add a little Dr Tim's and ammonium every few days alternately. The trough is not being fed, has no light and no filtration (although the water is being heated and circulated).

I was at Reefapalooza today and heard Ryan Batcheller talk about using maricultured rock and mud to do so.

What would you suggest as a product to aid in cooking/cycling/seasoning the rock... if it's even possible in those circumstances? I'm assuming the bacterial populations wouldn't be affected but I don't want to kill any sponges etc that might tag along. And if feeding in some way was necessary, what might you suggest?

Thanks!

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Tims one and only and you can add some Dr. Tims eco balance in a few days later. Throw in some phosphate and nitrates or the bacteria that you trying to get established will starv an dye. That's what I did with great success

20220503_180430.jpg 20220503_180419.jpg 20220502_233757.jpg 20220502_234138.jpg

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Tampa Bay Saltwater!

I'm in the process of getting my Caribsea Liferock ready for my tank. At the moment it's in a covered Rubbermaid trough and I add a little Dr Tim's and ammonium every few days alternately. The trough is not being fed, has no light and no filtration (although the water is being heated and circulated).

I was at Reefapalooza today and heard Ryan Batcheller talk about using maricultured rock and mud to do so.

What would you suggest as a product to aid in cooking/cycling/seasoning the rock... if it's even possible in those circumstances? I'm assuming the bacterial populations wouldn't be affected but I don't want to kill any sponges etc that might tag along. And if feeding in some way was necessary, what might you suggest?

Thanks!
Happy to come across your thread! and thanks for asking this specific question.
If you have an empty tank waiting in your living room and a bin cooking dry rock in the garage, this is what I would do:
  1. Order the TBS Package (*see details below) for a stable system.
  2. Alternative second choice is to order diver harvested live sand and ocean living BASE rock 1lb per gallon of each and put them directly into the functioning new aquarium. Let the new tank settle in for 1-2 weeks, then s-l-o-w-l-y add to your stable aquarium the rock you are cooking.
Ocean harvested products are truly ALIVE (bacteria, worms, starfish, bivalves, sponges, tunicates, snails, crabs) and they require life support provided by a circulating aquarium with good water quality, oxygen and light. Please do not put ocean harvested rock in a "dark cycling bin" with dead rock, that will kill the beneficial organisms you are paying for. Instead, provide life support for healthy living products within the aquarium, let the tank "cycle, mature, settle", then sparingly add dead rock to a living system.

*For new tanks, TBS offers a product called the "Package". The Package is based on gallons in your tank; a ratio of live sand and ocean live rock that are added to the new aquarium in 2 phases. This Package of live sand/live rock provides all the bacteria needed to begin a new tank. No bottle bacteria purchases, no cooking rock in bins hassles, no guessing if your new tank has cycled.

It is painful to read about new hobbyists struggling through cycles, confused about curing rock, battling nuisance algae and buying bacterial Band-Aids, when the solution is as simple as getting back to nature.

Living natural ingredients transported safely in seawater,
correct proportions for the aquarium size,
and a stair step procedure is key to a successful new aquarium experience.

We are happy to answer questions here, dm or email.

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do go the ocean live rock route be prepared for all the bad thats in the ocean also. They always say all the good but never the bad. Flatworms, ick, velvet, Medusa worms, bad crabs. And alot more.
Just my opinion.

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you do go the ocean live rock route be prepared for all the bad thats in the ocean also. They always say all the good but never the bad. Flatworms, ick, velvet, Medusa worms, bad crabs. And alot more.
Just my opinion.
We have begun a hitchhiker section on the new website that documents what we find on TBS live rock.
The most common hitchhikers we see are gorilla crabs and porcelain crabs. Never had a customer report ick or velvet associated with TBS rock.

Back