Which return pump for my RFG

ryshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi I have 2 of the 1/2" RFGs "Y" into a dual return on my 66 gallon. My head loss is about 6'-7' and I'm using a Syncra Pro 3000/800. I don't think I'm getting enough flow to make my RFGs work properly.

I just purchased a new tank I'm going to start plumbing soon and want to make sure I get the right size pump to take advantage of some random flow from the RFG with this new tank. The new tank is a 120-gallon again with a single return Y'd off into dual RFGs. I was originally going to get the Fluval SP4 for the 120, however, when I saw that you recommend optimal flow around 640 to 670 I thought the SP4 may be overkill since I'll probably again have 6'-7' of head loss which would put me around 1200 gph with the SP4. So then I decided on the Sicce Silent 4.0, but now I'm wondering if that will be strong enough. Ideally, I dont want to throttle back my pump with a ball valve. Please advise.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi I have 2 of the 1/2" RFGs "Y" into a dual return on my 66 gallon. My head loss is about 6'-7' and I'm using a Syncra Pro 3000/800. I don't think I'm getting enough flow to make my RFGs work properly.

I just purchased a new tank I'm going to start plumbing soon and want to make sure I get the right size pump to take advantage of some random flow from the RFG with this new tank. The new tank is a 120-gallon again with a single return Y'd off into dual RFGs. I was originally going to get the Fluval SP4 for the 120, however, when I saw that you recommend optimal flow around 640 to 670 I thought the SP4 may be overkill since I'll probably again have 6'-7' of head loss which would put me around 1200 gph with the SP4. So then I decided on the Sicce Silent 4.0, but now I'm wondering if that will be strong enough. Ideally, I dont want to throttle back my pump with a ball valve. Please advise.
Get the SP4 - wont be overkill at all on a 120g. And ideally you want a pump that is large enough from the get go, so its infinitely better to buy one that needs a bit of valving back than one that doesnt quite give you enough flow. Theres no drawback to throttling a pump like an SP4 with a ball valve anyways so dont sweat it.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
@ryshark, I agree with @rockskimmerflow - out of those two pumps, definitely go with the SP4 and throttling it back if you need to. however i don't think you'll need to.

A single 1/2in RFG nozzle will easily handle as much as 600 GPH (1,200 / 2) Our Optimal Suggested rate is more of a suggestion based on our tests. The optimal rates create what we think is a nice, even randomized flow. However - at higher flow rates, the nozzle will produce a more chaotic flow pattern.

I'll shoot a video in our Demo tank of a single 1/2in RFG at ~600 GPH so you can see what kind of flow you should expect. I think you'll like it. Check back in a few hours.

Last edited:

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
@ryshark i have put together a quick flow demo of the 1/2in RFG nozzle at approx 550-600 GPH.

Take a look at this short video - this is basically what you could expect in terms of flow from each nozzle, if you provided a dual nozzle setup 1,200GPH.
The demo also shows the difference in flow between straight loc-line and and RFG nozzle

Hope that helps you decide which way to go with the return pump.

OP
ryshark

ryshark

View Badges
Reaction score
@ryshark i have put together a quick flow demo of the 1/2in RFG nozzle at approx 550-600 GPH.

Take a look at this short video - this is basically what you could expect in terms of flow from each nozzle, if you provided a dual nozzle setup 1,200GPH.
The demo also shows the difference in flow between straight loc-line and and RFG nozzle

Hope that helps you decide which way to go with the return pump.
That's pretty awesome, thanks! I didn't even think about dividing the gph output by 2 since it's coming out of 2-different nozzles, I just added more head pressure, but dividing it makes way more sense. I got the RMA for the syncra 4, which was never used, and I'm ordering the SP4. Thanks

So what do you think about running carbon as a filter for your aquariums?

• Underrated

Votes: 46 12.8%
  • Overrated

Votes: 56 15.6%
  • Just Right

Votes: 257 71.6%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
MrReefs