Which salt mix?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest difference between all the reef salts is the price. ;Greedy

Instant Ocean Reef Crystals is the cheapest (and the one I use). Over the last 15 years I've tried several other "better" salts that were double what IO Reef Crystals sells for and I don't see any difference in my tank.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would regularly use what ever is cheapest and easily available. For initial filling though I'd consider using a salt that is closer to your parameters. For instance I would never fill a tank with red sea pro but rather blue bucket because the alkalinity is sky high in the pro. However if you run a high alk tank then that could be the salt for you. Just using that as an example.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use which ever salt you want to closely match the parameters you want to keep.

7B2415A7-8EC4-4A73-AD90-CA61BDDF1ED6.jpeg

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may go back to instant ocean. I use salinity and honestly can’t say there has been a difference. I used IO for 9 months and salinity for the past 12. Salinity does seem to leave a residue on my brute container, and that was from day 1.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AdamNC, thanks for sharing the list. Is that fairly current?

OP
OP
The Pondman

The Pondman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest difference between all the reef salts is the price. ;Greedy

Instant Ocean Reef Crystals is the cheapest (and the one I use). Over the last 15 years I've tried several other "better" salts that were double what IO Reef Crystals sells for and I don't see any difference in my tank.
Use which ever salt you want to closely match the parameters you want to keep.

7B2415A7-8EC4-4A73-AD90-CA61BDDF1ED6.jpeg
I guess by looking at that chart that question of "Which salt..... " wasn't that simple.

So, I take it that the parameters within that chart that I would be wanting will depend on what fish and corals I'll be putting in the tank, correct?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought IO reef crystals is no different from regular IO salt

KJa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) has several youtube videos on this subject and the parameters sounding the type of salt/tank you are trying to create. One of the youtube videos specifically discussed Alkalinity and salinity in regards to coral growth. I have used Reef Crystals, Red Sea blue bucket, and Pro. I prefer Red Sea Coral Pro for the alkalinity and elevated nutrient levels. The synthetic salts are by far the best but they are also the most expensive. So coral pro is my happy medium:)

OP
OP
The Pondman

The Pondman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) has several youtube videos on this subject and the parameters sounding the type of salt/tank you are trying to create. One of the youtube videos specifically discussed Alkalinity and salinity in regards to coral growth. I have used Reef Crystals, Red Sea blue bucket, and Pro. I prefer Red Sea Coral Pro for the alkalinity and elevated nutrient levels. The synthetic salts are by far the best but they are also the most expensive. So coral pro is my happy medium:)

I'll check out the video, thanks for the info!

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess by looking at that chart that question of "Which salt..... " wasn't that simple.

So, I take it that the parameters within that chart that I would be wanting will depend on what fish and corals I'll be putting in the tank, correct?

Pretty much yea. I have a full SPS tank with low Alk and Ca so I use Red Sea Blue bucket. When I had a mixed reef I was using the Red Sea Pro.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AdamNC, thanks for sharing the list. Is that fairly current?

I can confirm that the plain IO readings are right. I test every new box and they all measure to about 10 - 11 dKh alkalinity, 400 - 410 ppm calcium, and usually 1,400+ ppm magnesium.

@The Pondman, almost any major salt mix on the market will work. None of them have any major problems that would prevent them from working in a reef tank. If the choice were mine, however, I would use plain Instant Ocean. It's cheapest and you're going to need a lot of salt with a tank that size. The numbers are plenty high enough for reef tanks too, plus, with a 560g tank, you're not going to be relying on your salt mix for much calcium and alkalinity supplementation anyway.

Many SPS reefers have used IO for decades with great success. It's also the only salt mix that Jason Fox uses.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Didn't see mention made of what is highly regarded: Fritz pro salt. Dissolves easily and low cost. I like also my aquaforest salt and Reef Crystals.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back