Which salt to pick?

Deadlyhobbitses

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, starting off with a new reef tank and will be mixing my own salt. I was looking between the Red Sea Salt and Tropic Marin, but have no idea which is best and what to go for. Which would you recommend?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the salt that matches closest to the parameters that you want to maintain in your tank. This will minimize dosing requirements later on when the reef matures. I initially started out with an expensive salt, but didn't need it with a new tank and minimal corals. So, I ended up switching to Instant Ocean regular salt...it was half the price ($40 for 200g) of the other salt ($76 for 160g) and the parameters were almost identical. I couldn't justify the higher cost when the coral load in a new tank is almost miniscule to start out. I switched to IO and haven't had any issues.

OP
OP
D

Deadlyhobbitses

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the salt that matches closest to the parameters that you want to maintain in your tank. This will minimize dosing requirements later on when the reef matures. I initially started out with an expensive salt, but didn't need it with a new tank and minimal corals. So, I ended up switching to Instant Ocean regular salt...it was half the price ($40 for 200g) of the other salt ($76 for 160g) and the parameters were almost identical. I couldn't justify the higher cost when the coral load in a new tank is almost miniscule to start out. I switched to IO and haven't had any issues.
How would I know what parameters I want to maintain? It seems like there's a million different right ways to do it. I want to mostly keep a lps and softy tank, but definitely transition to sps eventually.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @Idoc . And, there is no "best" salt. It's like tomato sauce (some say gravy) for your spaghetti, it's what you were brought up on and like that is the best. The one you pick is going to be your best salt. I too am and IO user, and for me, the best! Can't beat the price, quality, and consistency.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was an IO user myself but finally decided to switch to Read Sea because of the container. I was tired of battling clumped up salt that I had to break apart with a hammer. As too the tanks, I have noticed zero difference.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for me, price determines my choice. As idoc mentioned, some salts are more than half the price of others, and this hobby is super expensive already without adding dollars for salt

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried and true IO for me as well. Cant beat the price

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen great tanks with all sorts of salts. The major brands are all fine. It is the reefer and not the salt.

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from instant ocean to redsea coral pro. Corals looking great lps love the higher Dkh. Tropic marin and IO around 8dkh my red sea mixes to 11

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I know what parameters I want to maintain? It seems like there's a million different right ways to do it. I want to mostly keep a lps and softy tank, but definitely transition to sps eventually.
Most corals will adapt to the alkalinity you set in your tank... just keep it stable. 8-12dKh is s good target as well as calcium between 400-450.

IO nice to around 9dkh and 400 calcium.

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone will give their own opinion here... but you specifically asked “tropic Marin” or “Red Sea”... I’ll say Red Sea because it’s readily available and tropic Marin (although a good salt) is out of stock most places... I use tropic Marin for now, but will be switching because it’s always out of stock Andy the calcium, Dkh and magnesium levels are really low!

Randy’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like tropic Marin , I’ve tried many others they’re all good don’t get me wrong , but one thing I noticed was with Red Sea salt , Instant ocean when I would mix salt in a bucket and after I put the salt in the tank and take a white paper towel to wipe to bucket dry I would notice brown residue on the paper towel , but upon switching to tropic Marin no more brown residue , I understand it’s hard to get right now but soon it will be avl everywhere again!, I truly believe that tropic Marin is a cleaner salt, reefing is not a cheap investment so why put salt that will “do the job” but “dirty” in your expensive investment , just doesn’t make sense.

Randy’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin is very low in dkh and calcium levels which is annoying to me...
Yes same here I wish it was a little higher dkh , but honestly I dose25 ml of alk into my 10 gallon mixing bucket and it brings it right up to 8.2 where I keep my tank at, this thing clears up so fast it’s unbelievable I just smile knowing I’m putting a quality clean and great salt in my tank

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What about Tropic Marin Classic?? It mixes to 10 dKH. Problem is it's even harder to get than Pro reef it seems

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back