Which size tank ?

Aussie_Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I just joined the forum and this is my first post. I have been keeping a simple 50 gallon FOWLR for the past year. It is a basic setup with only 2 clownfish and a few inverts. It's now time to upgrade to something bigger and better.

I have nearly all the equipment to upgrade and I am trying to decide between the following 2 options.

Option 1 6x18x18
Option 2 5x24x24

I live in a 2 story house. Upstairs I don't believe the floor can support as much weight but I have more space so that's were the 6ft would go. Downstairs the floor is stronger but I don't have room for more than a 5ft tank.

I plan on starting as a FOWLR than 12 months later upgrading to a reef. My favourite fish are tangs and I would like to get 1 or 2 if possible than just your bread a butter fish such as clowns,chromis, cardinals etc.

Any feedback is much appreciated.
Kindest regards.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A five foot tank will allow you to have a few tangs, bristle tooth, yellow, and/or some of the other smaller ones. A six footer doesn't really open up the list much, but might give a better space for them.
I'd stick with the 1st floor personally. Both of these tanks weigh a ton after all is said and done. Where is your RODI? Where do keep your supplies? Lugging a 60-70 pound bucket of salt up the stairs is not fun. A leak downstairs sucks, but a leak on the second floor is worse. You can both floors that way.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I have a 6 foot tank and you do not want to deal with that and stairs at all. If something bad happens and you spring a leak, or something overflows significantly etc- the problems that could cause could be huge. Id do the 5 foot on the lower level.

mphammer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for 5ft on the lower level, will make everything much easier and as stated above, the extra foot will not offer you much more in terms of livestock options

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO option 2... folks have commented that the wider tanks (24") provide better usable space for both you and the livestock. Oh and I agree w others, I'd keep it on 1F, don't want to lug that size tank up a flight of stairs

OP
OP
A

Aussie_Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A five foot tank will allow you to have a few tangs, bristle tooth, yellow, and/or some of the other smaller ones. A six footer doesn't really open up the list much, but might give a better space for them.
I'd stick with the 1st floor personally. Both of these tanks weigh a ton after all is said and done. Where is your RODI? Where do keep your supplies? Lugging a 60-70 pound bucket of salt up the stairs is not fun. A leak downstairs sucks, but a leak on the second floor is worse. You can both floors that way.

Thanks for your response mate. At the moment I just get my water from my local aquarium shop. It will probably be more economical to purchase an RODI unit with the upgrade. It will go in my garage. Keep my food in the fridge and testing equipment besides tank upstairs.

I think 5 foot is the way to go downstairs.1

I am looking at a yellow tang and I know it's risky but I want to research a purple tang. I have seen the two tangs go together in my friends 120G so I want to find out if that's the norm.

Thanks so much your feedback is much appreciated.

mphammer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your response mate. At the moment I just get my water from my local aquarium shop. It will probably be more economical to purchase an RODI unit with the upgrade. It will go in my garage. Keep my food in the fridge and testing equipment besides tank upstairs.

I think 5 foot is the way to go downstairs.1

I am looking at a yellow tang and I know it's risky but I want to research a purple tang. I have seen the two tangs go together in my friends 120G so I want to find out if that's the norm.

Thanks so much your feedback is much appreciated.
Yellow and Purple tang is a beautiful combo. Might be a little tight in a 120 but if you start them out smaller you can enjoy them for some time
I would definitely add both at the same time, and towards the end of the stocking. This can help cut out some of the territorial aggression
Good luck!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back