Which Skimmer to buy. Remember, coming off using a commercial RK2150pe

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to start my search for my replacement skimmer. See my other post here ...

The skimmer would need to be rated for 1000 gallons heavy stocked large fish and full mixed reef tank. On the other thread, notice the comment about over skimming and PH advantages. Since taking off the giant RK2 my PH went from consistent 8.35 to a dismal 7.7.
Deltec ?
RK2 ?
Reef Octopus ?
Red Sea ?
Any others ?
IMG_3595.jpg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you contacted Jeff at LifeReef? If you still have the vertical real estate, it might be worth contacting him and getting a quote on a custom skimmer to compare with your other options.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My preferred big skimmer manufacturers are MTC, MRC and Lifereef. MTC is now out-of-business/retired unfortunately, so used would be your only avenue there. MRC make nice skimmers, particularly the pro series with the neck wash feature. Lifereef is just an incredibly solid product and Jeff is a pleasure to deal with.

U

User1

View Badges
My preferred big skimmer manufacturers are MTC, MRC and Lifereef. MTC is now out-of-business/retired unfortunately, so used would be your only avenue there. MRC make nice skimmers, particularly the pro series with the neck wash feature. Lifereef is just an incredibly solid product and Jeff is a pleasure to deal with.

Jeff is actually a nice guy. Just spoke to him two weeks ago. His skimmers work very well. I'm using the same one today that I bought in 1999. I'll second. Wouldn't hurt to call and see what he is able to do and just chat about it.

U

User1

View Badges
2 hours on a personal phone call......I'm Buying Jeff's skimmer at LifeReef !!!!

He is a good guy. Really.

I purchased a skimmer for my 100 gallon back in 1999. I recently upgraded to a 210 gallon and figured it would be fine. In fact I knew it would. However, I called to ask if there was any changes worth upgrading or his thoughts are on it running on a 210 gallon. He looked up my name, purchase date, skimmer, said no. Nothing has changed other than 2 quality of life things. No need to nor would he recommend.

Guy could have easily said yeah, upgrade and pulled in 500 or so bucks. Nope, said you are good to go. Called a week later and bought a refugium. Really nice guy. If you do go with him please share some pictures if you don't mind. Would like to see what he puts together for you.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back