which small crabs in aquarium trade can live out of water and reef safe.

Lollipop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am building a new reef tank with an island and mangrove. I thought it would be cool to have some crabs hang out on it. i don't know whether fiddler crabs can live in or near saltwater... Do those hermit crabs get out of water if there is a chance?

Mr. Bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Head of the Chesapeake, North East, Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fiddler Crabs and Land Hermits are both shoreline animals that frequent the surf. That's the main reason for their early demise; they're both usually sold- and kept- in completely inappropriate environments. That said, I can't guarantee that either are reef safe, but since the hermit feeds on terrestrial fruits and vegetables and the fiddler is mainly an algae grazer, it is possible. Also, yes, marine hermits are known to visit dry land for short periods occasionally if they are near the shore.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed Hermits live in the water but can take time out, say during tide drop. Fiddlers are opposite they are more land dwelling & can take time submerged. They are only found in a tide zone.

OP
OP
Lollipop

Lollipop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all! It appears fiddlers are strong candidates given there’s freshwater source.. Another issue is temperature from the reef light since island is higher than the water level. i wonder whether they can stand the heat...

freshy&salty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the term reef safe should be used in quotations when used with hermit crabs. Yes they are for the most part reef safe but they are ignorantly destructive. Mine all like to dig and pry to get under things and pretty much knock over anything not secured down. Theyve never hurt anything but i do have the extra PITA having to secure everything. Idk how to add a picture but i bought what I thought was a scarlet hermit but after like 6 months he obviously isnt. He has 1 claw that dwarfs his body and the other is like a sad little t-rex arm. Hes like a mini aquatic fiddler. Ill do some research and find out what hes actually called. Wait a tick... ignore his dirty shell. He picked a pretty old one.
20180605_174235.jpeg
20180304_173919.jpeg

Mr. Bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Head of the Chesapeake, North East, Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all! It appears fiddlers are strong candidates given there’s freshwater source.. Another issue is temperature from the reef light since island is higher than the water level. i wonder whether they can stand the heat...

One I had forgotten which may be your best choice is the Sally Lightfoot. They, too, are shoreline crabs, but adapt easily to aquatic life in reef tanks.

OP
OP
Lollipop

Lollipop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i read that sally lightfoot wasnt reef safe. is it incorrect?

OP
OP
Lollipop

Lollipop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the term reef safe should be used in quotations when used with hermit crabs. Yes they are for the most part reef safe but they are ignorantly destructive. Mine all like to dig and pry to get under things and pretty much knock over anything not secured down. Theyve never hurt anything but i do have the extra PITA having to secure everything. Idk how to add a picture but i bought what I thought was a scarlet hermit but after like 6 months he obviously isnt. He has 1 claw that dwarfs his body and the other is like a sad little t-rex arm.
i had about a dozen hermits inherited and i was frightened by their aggressive shell fights and eating snails etc. some of them had those gigantic claws. i had to get rid of them to have a peace in tank. then i saw red foot hermits were similar too. So i feared for lives of other hermits. i now only have blue leg, scarlet reef, and holloweens and i wont change it.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back