BRS

SallyWho

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I will freely and shamefully admit that I slacked off and let my tank go. I'd like to whip it back into shape, and the answer to a few of my problems is obviously water changes. Which do you think would be most beneficial? Several small changes a week for a several weeks, or 2-3 larger changes a week to really get that old water swapped out? The tank is 120g with a 40b sump. I have a pipe thingy that I use to siphon water out and I can either siphon out 20g or 10g at a time. I haven't done any testing yet, but I can look around at the cyano, the pathetic unhappy SPS, and the proliferation of pests (probably because I overfeed to keep an aggression issue under control) to know that my water is diiiiiiiirrrrrrty. I don't want to shock the tank by too much turnover, but I don't want to wait until Christmas for the cyano to go away either. What would you do?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

Fish Think Pink

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I will freely and shamefully admit that I slacked off and let my tank go. I'd like to whip it back into shape, and the answer to a few of my problems is obviously water changes. Which do you think would be most beneficial? Several small changes a week for a several weeks, or 2-3 larger changes a week to really get that old water swapped out? The tank is 120g with a 40b sump. I have a pipe thingy that I use to siphon water out and I can either siphon out 20g or 10g at a time. I haven't done any testing yet, but I can look around at the cyano, the pathetic unhappy SPS, and the proliferation of pests (probably because I overfeed to keep an aggression issue under control) to know that my water is diiiiiiiirrrrrrty. I don't want to shock the tank by too much turnover, but I don't want to wait until Christmas for the cyano to go away either. What would you do?

First, I would test my water parameters to have a baseline (LFSs will test if you can't do all, but might have to call around and might have to pay a little $ for some tests)

Then do water change 10-20%

Then test again (see above).

Then determine what needs work/dosed/whatever... refer to below chart. DO NOT GO FAST - adjusting water should happen over time or that can also harm/kill corals.... It didn't get out of control overnight, and don't try to fix it overnight.

"start where you are, use what you have, do what you can." - Arthur Ashe, tennis player

Attachments

• Water Parameters Chart from Bulk Reef Supply.jpeg
    Water Parameters Chart from Bulk Reef Supply.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 13
Fritz

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
lets do one of these on it:

it takes one day to turn it around, not a series of days.

OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
After doing a water change yesterday (~20g on a ~150g system), I did some testing today.

SG 1.026
Amm 0
Nitrites 0.05
Nitrates 20
Phos 0.41
Alk 7.0

Granted, I'm interpreting these results with caution- many of my reagents are expired. But if these are correct, then I think continued water changes will help. The water changes will get rid of those nitrites and bring down the nitrates and phos, and the fresh saltwater will replenish the Alk a bit.

Toys For Kids Drive

Untitled-2 copy.jpg

BRS

What prizes are you most excited to possibly win?

• CADE Aquarium

Votes: 66 56.4%
  • Turbo's Aquatics GC

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • Tunze Pumps

Votes: 27 23.1%
  • SBB Corals GC

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • AquaticLife Light

Votes: 13 11.1%
  • Orphek Light

Votes: 37 31.6%