Which tangs of the same species can be kept together as group.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Which tangs of the same species can be kept together (as a group of 5-7) in captivity.

Tank is 84*32*25

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Several members here have kept groups of yellow tangs. Not sure about any others. I'm sure it could be done though in large enough groups.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if anyone on here has tried it with a species other than the yellows, but I’m inclined to agree with Daniel that it could probably be done under the right circumstances (i.e. with enough tangs, enough room and hiding spots, enough food, possibly a few larger fish like big angels to put some external pressure on the group, etc.) - I’d love to know if someone has tried it before, and (if not) I’d love to know if it works for you.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago, I had 5 chocolate Tangs together ( LFS had them and no customers wanted them, so I got a great package deal for them all)… I think that they were in my 300g.
Eventually traded them out to get some more colorful species.
Recently picked up another for my next (and last) tank move.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a problem keeping any tang with any other as long as they have ample places to go away and hide and are fed well enough that they are growing well. I have no disease stress.

Most people do not feed them enough or have caves and arches and other things for humans that are not good for fish to feel secure like stacked up rock where they can totally escape and hide fully.

I have 2 purples in together right now - one about 19-20 years old and fully grown and the other half that size. I once had 3x black tangs given to me that ate acans that got along fine - they were quite large. Multiple yellows were no problem either.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 4 but not all the same species

1 yellow tang , 1 sailfin , one orange shoulder and one yellow belly blue tang

Along with foxface , a juv emperor and trigger .

I the sailfin was a challenge but was able to hold his own against the yellows ruthless efforts .

I don’t think I would try adding anymore to the ones already established but if I were to add a bunch at once . I believe it could work

@vetteguy53081 has a bunch of yellows in one system

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Which tangs of the same species can be kept together (as a group of 5-7) in captivity.

Tank is 84*32*25
I have many mixed genus of tangs and they coexist very well but I also have stocked in order of aggression.
Ive seen lately groups of purple tangs but over the last few decades- Yellow tang, convict tang, hepatus tangs and orange shoulder tangs

1686325615275.png

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have experience with groups of yellows and pairs of Nasos. If there is violence - be prepared to re-arrange the rock work, feed like crazy, ad a mirror, and it usually blows over. If you do not intervene, the tangs will gang up on one of them and pick them off one at a time - until there is just one left.

As jda says, having caves where a tang can defend itself easily- helps. My rockwork is very open - so I pile up aquarium ornaments around the entrances to the various caves and it makes it much easier for a harrassed tang to defend itself and stay well fed and I can change up the landscape easily when the rabble gets restless.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert but I did get some advice from an LFS owner that specializes in only fish that stuck with me. He said if you intend on having a small number of tangs, make sure they are all part of a different group (body type), such as Zebromosa, Paracanthurus, etc. There are 4 in total, where only the Blue Tang occupies the 4th spot. If you intend to have several of the same Genus (like multiple Zebromosa) then you would need at least 3 to disperse the aggression.

I only have 3 tangs, a Yellow, a Whitetail Bristletooth, and a Blue tang, and have no problems. Sometimes the Yellow tries to attack the Bristletooth, but it's short-lived and not something I worry about.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with an aquascape that gives fish lots of places to hide is that then the fish hide and you can't see them!

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Several members here have kept groups of yellow tangs. Not sure about any others. I'm sure it could be done though in large enough groups.

That was the original idea but at current prices there is just no way.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have a mixture of 7 currently and waiting on achillies as my 8th and final! My tank is 72x36. 275 gallons

Yellow
Sailfin
Gem
Blonde naso
Half black mimmic
Blue eye kole
Hippo

Looking for a group of same species and not a mix but thanks for chiming in.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Years ago, I had 5 chocolate Tangs together ( LFS had them and no customers wanted them, so I got a great package deal for them all)… I think that they were in my 300g.
Eventually traded them out to get some more colorful species.
Recently picked up another for my next (and last) tank move.

That's my worry with fish that are just "drab" hence this thread here. I'm looking for utility and color and obviously not to spend $2-3k for a small group. Powder brown and powder blues are really pretty but I'm worried they may not do well in group....even if introduced in one shot.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have never had a problem keeping any tang with any other as long as they have ample places to go away and hide and are fed well enough that they are growing well. I have no disease stress.

Most people do not feed them enough or have caves and arches and other things for humans that are not good for fish to feel secure like stacked up rock where they can totally escape and hide fully.

I have 2 purples in together right now - one about 19-20 years old and fully grown and the other half that size. I once had 3x black tangs given to me that ate acans that got along fine - they were quite large. Multiple yellows were no problem either.

Looking to keep a group (5-7 fish) of same species. Yellows were first choice but not at current prices - no way.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have many mixed genus of tangs and they coexist very well but I also have stocked in order of aggression.
Ive seen lately groups of purple tangs but over the last few decades- Yellow tang, convict tang, hepatus tangs and orange shoulder tangs

1686325615275.png

Tank looks nice and those 4 yellows are just gorgeous! I cannot spend at current market price to buy 7.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm not an expert but I did get some advice from an LFS owner that specializes in only fish that stuck with me. He said if you intend on having a small number of tangs, make sure they are all part of a different group (body type), such as Zebromosa, Paracanthurus, etc. There are 4 in total, where only the Blue Tang occupies the 4th spot. If you intend to have several of the same Genus (like multiple Zebromosa) then you would need at least 3 to disperse the aggression.

I only have 3 tangs, a Yellow, a Whitetail Bristletooth, and a Blue tang, and have no problems. Sometimes the Yellow tries to attack the Bristletooth, but it's short-lived and not something I worry about.

Idea is to have 7 of the same species.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back