Which tangs of the same species can be kept together as group.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one years ago, beautiful fish and he was actually a model citizen, perhaps the sohal kept it in check.

I'm wondering if the aggression goes away in a group or do they go at it until one is left - same for powder blue/brown.
i have seen someone keep 2 powder blues together

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it. You should see my Powder Blue go after his reflection when I put a mirror on the tank. Purple and Yellow only attack their reflections half-heart

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have some small AC fish currently but have been getting feedback from fellow local reefers that the AC Yellows don't color up as well as their wild counterparts. Hard pass on these until more data shows up on grown up BIOTA specimens.
Ive now seen grown Biotas and good yellow but not as vibrant as Hawaiian yellows. All my tangs are wild caught and have high color - pics do no justice. I have yet three tangs to acquire yet putting me at 28 tangs and then will move on to other fish.

MT. Reefer

Mt.Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about Blonde Naso Tangs? Great looking fish. I have been getting all my fish from REEF BEAUTIES however all they have right now are the large. But, you can always call these suppliers and see what they can do for you buying multiples like that.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Have you thought about Blonde Naso Tangs? Great looking fish. I have been getting all my fish from REEF BEAUTIES however all they have right now are the large. But, you can always call these suppliers and see what they can do for you buying multiples like that.

Blond Nasos in a group of 7?

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixture of 7 currently and waiting on achillies as my 8th and final! My tank is 72x36. 275 gallons

Yellow
Sailfin
Gem
Blonde naso
Half black mimmic
Blue eye kole
Hippo
I would be very interested to know how it goes with the achilles. Of these, I think it is the most delicate and prone to get ich for no reason. I also have a gem, and am considering to get an achilles, and I am very curious how they will be getting along. I didn't dare to add other zebrasomas, but since achilles has a different body shape, I hope that they would get along together. My main concern is that the current tank is not big enough for these fishes, it is just 65G. I have built a 200G but could never find the time to get it started...

Cool Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I had a Yellow Tang and a Sailfin in a 55 gallon tank for nearly 3 years. Then the Sailfin got too large for the tank and I replaced it with a Powder Brown Tang. The Yellow Tang and the Powder Brown roomed together for 4 years until the Brown died. I now have a 90 gallon that is home to a Yellow Tang and a Powder Brown Tang.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave
How big is your tank and how did you spur the two PBT together?
I would live to get two PBT in my 320
not mine just someone i found on youtube haha idk if you would be able to do it though when i add a mirror to my tank my powder blue goes full on attack mode

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a picture of my tangs yesterday on fb… got some interesting responses.. maybe this will help ya!
IMG_0276.jpeg
IMG_0275.jpeg

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
This whole thread just went sideways :confused:

ORIGINAL QUESTION:

Which tangs of the SAME (S-A-M-E / IDENTICAL / NOT DIFFERENT) species can be held together as a group - in captivity.

Looking for individuals who can confirm that they have kept a group 5-7 individuals of the SAME species successfully. Which species?

We know @vetteguy53081 keeps a group of 6 Yellow Tangs - but I cannot afford 7 Wild Caught Yellow tangs at the moment.

Looking for confirmation of other species.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted those pictures for you to see the pairs, quads etc! Triple purples, One has 4 hippos the other has 4 powders etc.. the over all number is irrelevant sorry for replying! :rolleyes: Have a nice day!

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I posted those pictures for you to see the pairs, quads etc! Triple purples, One has 4 hippos the other has 4 powders etc.. the over all number is irrelevant sorry for replying! :rolleyes: Have a nice day!

My previous reply did not target you/anyone specifically, it was mean to straighten out the topic at hand. I appreciate your help.

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have mentioned price several times. Do you have a max budget in mind? Is it a firm budget? Thus far I haven't seen a single reply that was budget-conscious. Sounds like a half-dozen captive-bred yellows is the leading suggestion (with cost and color still possible issues).

Do you have a specific tang you prefer?

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You have mentioned price several times. Do you have a max budget in mind? Is it a firm budget? Thus far I haven't seen a single reply that was budget-conscious. Sounds like a half-dozen captive-bred yellows is the leading suggestion (with cost and color still possible issues).

Do you have a specific tang you prefer?

I'm thinking about a group of 7 so preferably something below $100 each.

In this price range the following tangs fit the bill and offer pop.

Powder brown
Powder blue
Clown
Atlantic Blue
Purple (from what I've see on sale)
All these fit the budget.

Front runners at the moment are Atlantic Blues (price wise) or Purple (pop wise), each would offer more utility then the others.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back