Which Tank? ... and keep following as it becomes a build thread.

T0adman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I mentioned this in my introduction thread, but thought I'd make a separate thread since it kind of evolved into a 'real' topic.
It was also pointed out that using this as the beginning of my build thread is probably the best place for it. So ... here's my third post on the topic. Sorry for cluttering the forum!

TLDR: Which tank do you think I'll be happiest in this corner. An IM nuvo 50 int (30"x24"), Waterbox DX 90.3/100.3 (36"x20"/24") or a 54g corner tank (27.5" radius)? I plan to put a mixed reef in it.

I am coming back to reefing after being away about a decade. I have kept FW tanks my whole life and have bred numerous FW fish. I'm pretty experienced with FW and know the fundamentals of SW but will be new to all the fancy new equipment (and knowledge). Eventually I will set up a BIG reef tank, but for now I am going to 'make do' with a smaller tank replacing this FW tank in the corner of my living room.

I have a very helpful LFS that has been helping me with build ideas. I started with the idea to get an IM Nuvo 50 Int, which would be the same length as the current 29g. But, that would stick out into the room a full 24". So, I thought maybe a Waterbox 90.3 would be better since it would would overlap the light switch by an inch or so (no big deal) but stick out into the room 4 less inches. I was actually on the cusp of ordering this one when the LFS gently suggested that the extra width of a 100.3 might be preferable for ease of scaping, etc.

When I sent him a pic of the corner, he noticed the couch. I currently like to sit on the couch and watch the tank and will presumably continue to do that with the new reef setup. Of course, having the couch this close requires that I move the couch any time I want to get into the cabinet underneath the tank. So, he suggested a 54g corner tank. He has one in stock and has one setup as a mixed reef himself, so can recommend a sump and lights that would work well with it. It kind of seems like a great idea to get a corner tank for a corner, right? But, I'm wondering if the view from the 'side' of the corner tank will be good, and if corner tanks in general are a good fit for a beginner reef.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide which of those tanks would be the best fit for this space. I'll have good advice with equipment, scaping and stocking from my LFS once I make a decision (always the hard part). So, I'd love to hear which option experienced reefers (you) would recommend.

TIA

IMG_1526.jpg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice FW scape.

OK my 2 cents...for what ever there worth. can the couch be moved so that the doors of the cabinet open? if not they I would suggest go with a all in one (AIO)
with a sumped reef thank you will need to get in there at least every other day for something. lets not make maintenance hard on your self.

IM and WB both make some nice AIO tanks. that said I liked sumped tanks aver 40ish gallons feels at that gallons we start to need some bigger equipment.
but if you cant get to the sump IM makes a nice SR2 60 gal AIO and WB makes a 50.3 AIO
great starter tanks but once again i feel like sump is that way to go at that size. IDK maybe i am brain washed. ha but I feel you would want to upgrade sooner than later.

also what to throw in the idea of a samll peninsula tank like the wb 25 gal or IM 20 gal on a lower DIY stand so you get some real good viewing from the couch. I had one once between a small couch and chair was one of my fav. tanks set up. i'll post a pic of you like.

also dont forget you will want some space behind the tank and the sides. so not sure if you took that in to consideration with the room measurements?

so all that siad here in my thought. just move the electric switches while your at it ad a GFI tank out let or two after all that might as well paint the wall or do something cool then get the biggest tank the space and fit like the IM 75 loogon or WB 100.3 etc.

good luck!

OP
OP
T

T0adman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for you thoughtful and informative answers.

I can move the couch. My wife was actually asking why I don't leave the couch far enough away to not need to move it for maintenance. Sounds like that might be the best idea. I just kind of like having it close so I can look at things close up. It's on a hardwood floor, so easy to just slide another foot over. So, yeah, if it were a pain, I'd just leave it farther away permanently.

You also suggest that I just put in a BIG tank. In fact, I'd LOVE to do that, and I am planning to do that ... someday. My wife and I have been 'looking' at houses for a year or so. I've finally gotten too impatient to wait until we move or don't move to set up a reef tank. (I'm thinking we'll never find the perfect place.) So, this tank is my "I can't wait any longer" tank that isn't so big that it is impossible to move. In ideal world, I'd set up and cycle the BIG tank in the new house and move the occupants from this tank into it for a hopefully smooth transition.
Anyway, I started my thoughts with a AIO tank, or a smaller tank on the dresser next to my bed (currently a 5g shrimp tank). But, I decided that while this isn't my permanent goal for a tank, I do want it to be larger enough to be a 'real' tank. I want to have a real reef tank rather than a nano tank. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with a nano tank in addition to this one in the not-too-distant future.

So, that is why I decided on this location and a tank in the 30-36" range. I also decided that at that size, I wanted a sump. I also prefer to have the filtration below the tank because we didn't want it to stick out too far into the room, so didn't want the 'wasted' space of filtration behind the display.
And that's how I narrowed it down to the 3 I listed. But, am still open to suggestions that might fit my situation better.

OP
OP
T

T0adman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice FW scape.

OK my 2 cents...for what ever there worth. can the couch be moved so that the doors of the cabinet open? if not they I would suggest go with a all in one (AIO)
with a sumped reef thank you will need to get in there at least every other day for something. lets not make maintenance hard on your self.

IM and WB both make some nice AIO tanks. that said I liked sumped tanks aver 40ish gallons feels at that gallons we start to need some bigger equipment.
but if you cant get to the sump IM makes a nice SR2 60 gal AIO and WB makes a 50.3 AIO
great starter tanks but once again i feel like sump is that way to go at that size. IDK maybe i am brain washed. ha but I feel you would want to upgrade sooner than later.

also what to throw in the idea of a samll peninsula tank like the wb 25 gal or IM 20 gal on a lower DIY stand so you get some real good viewing from the couch. I had one once between a small couch and chair was one of my fav. tanks set up. i'll post a pic of you like.

also dont forget you will want some space behind the tank and the sides. so not sure if you took that in to consideration with the room measurements?

so all that siad here in my thought. just move the electric switches while your at it ad a GFI tank out let or two after all that might as well paint the wall or do something cool then get the biggest tank the space and fit like the IM 75 loogon or WB 100.3 etc.

good luck!
PS, thanks for the compliment on the FW tank. It has gotten a bit overgrown and a bit of BHA since I've kind of neglected it lately. I've been a bit bored with it. It just has a pea puffer and some endlers that I bred to be missing the black (leucistic?) I was thinking of revitalizing and getting a pair of cool cichlids, but then why do that when I could replace it with a REEF :)

OP
OP
T

T0adman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures of the corner tank?
I don’t, but I’m going to stop by the store tomorrow to take a look and see how the view is from the side (although I’m sure it’s different when it’s empty). I’ll snap a couple pics

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t, but I’m going to stop by the store tomorrow to take a look and see how the view is from the side (although I’m sure it’s different when it’s empty). I’ll snap a couple pics
I personally would not get the corner tank. then seem cool at 1st but scaping and flow will be a pain. can you do it yes of course i just dont think I would do it that's all.

you know once you get the tank cycled and stable you will find that house your looking for right!? I would bet money on that. lol that just seems like how life works.
but I hear ya wanting a hold me over tank then I nice 26" tank will be nice i picked up the RS 300XL G2 a few months ago for a seahorse build its a nice tank for sure.
so yeah its just about deciding what features you want like ext. or int. overflows and the foot print of it.

OP
OP
T

T0adman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not get the corner tank. then seem cool at 1st but scaping and flow will be a pain. can you do it yes of course i just dont think I would do it that's all.

you know once you get the tank cycled and stable you will find that house your looking for right!? I would bet money on that. lol that just seems like how life works.
but I hear ya wanting a hold me over tank then I nice 26" tank will be nice i picked up the RS 300XL G2 a few months ago for a seahorse build its a nice tank for sure.
so yeah its just about deciding what features you want like ext. or int. overflows and the foot print of it.
Thanks for the input!
If we find the perfect house and move as soon as I set up this tank, I won't be upset. Maybe I should get a BIG tank to really tempt the universe into 'forcing' me to move, haha.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input!
If we find the perfect house and move as soon as I set up this tank, I won't be upset. Maybe I should get a BIG tank to really tempt the universe into 'forcing' me to move, haha.
if you have your heart set on a future large tank. the new 60 breeders are a nice foot print that dont break the bank. granted they dont look as nice as the others on your list but a lot cheaper if that matters. but by the time you make or buy the stand and sump + overflow your in for it almost about what the others tanks are so...IDK just a thought.

either way it will be fun!

OP
OP
T

T0adman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures of the corner tank?
Finally got to the store. Here’s what I’m considering.

I have a suspicion that my floor joists might run parallel to the tank location, so that might limit my options for rectangular tanks. I tried a stud finder but it doesn’t work through the hardwood and subfloor. I tried magnets, but they find nails like every 6” in all directions. I’m kind of at a loss. If the floor joists follow the roof trusses, they are parallel. It would also be a 15’ span as opposed to an 18’ span. So, it is most likely that way. But (this is an addition) the main house has the joists running perpendicular to this room, if that would matter.

so, I think I might need to decide between the corner tank or the IM 30” tank.
I kind of want a bigger corner tank, but I don’t think they make them anymore. Might try to track down one of the hexagonal corner tanks. Seems like corner tanks are really hard to find. I’m really trying to be patient and get the right tank, but I’m also getting really anxious to start this reefing journey.

Attachments

• 20228C51-F13B-45B3-9DE1-492FBED9246C.jpeg
    20228C51-F13B-45B3-9DE1-492FBED9246C.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 22

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 54 gallon corner tank might be a good compromise. It should have great viewing with that curved front. Having owned several IM tanks, I'm leaning towards the corner one myself.

OP
OP
T

T0adman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 54 gallon corner tank might be a good compromise. It should have great viewing with that curved front. Having owned several IM tanks, I'm leaning towards the corner one myself.
Thanks so much for the input! I'm leaning towards the corner too, but keep hearing people cautioning me. So, it's good to see that it's at least not a terrible idea :)
That curved front will be excellent for viewing in the whole room, but I'm ever so slightly worried that sitting on the couch on one side will have a worse view.
I do like the idea of getting the corner tank and turning it into a seahorse tank down the road when I can get a nice big reef tank.

Back