Which test is right? Whats my problem?

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have both a salifert and api test kit. The api constantly tells me my ph is 8.1-8.2 and the salifert constantly says 8.4-8.5 (same color each time just hard to determine) which one is right? Does it matter so long as it's the same everytime? I'm addressing this because I have not seen any growth in my tank and I've had coral around 3 months. I've had chaeto that long as well, and it has not grown or died either. I'm happy I'm not killing stuff but growing would be cool lol.
Screenshot_20200218-230129_AquaticLog.jpg

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know my ca and mg are high with salifert test I have to use the whole syringe and then fill it back up to finish the test. I'm going to go with a different salt next time.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t stress the ph, You are probably right around exactly where you want to be. My salifert test always read high. I invested in a pinpoint American marine ph monitor (like $115 on amazon) and it read at 7.9 when salifert said 8.2 so I would guess you are right around 8.2-8.3 which is good. If you aren’t seeing coral growth, I would try increasing your DKH a bit? My corals really started to show off once I got it around 10. But it depends on what kind as you have. I have a mixed reed and everything is a lot happier 9-10, I barely saw any growth with it lower. The other thing corals like is stability. So find one kind of salt and stick with it, when you do your water changes balance out the levels of what’s going on and what’s already in the tank. Keep track of your calcium magnesium and Alk and Dose to keep them stable if needed. And then if nothing else, feed your corals occasionally.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anywhere from 7.9-8.3 is fine, yup, consistency is important.
Going to be a bit higher through the lights on period.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert is a higher quality test than API. Salifert enjoys a good reputation in the hobby. Bulk Reef Supply has a series of you tube videos comparing most of the tests. They do not include API because it has a low reputation. API can be fine just expect a ball park. None of the tests will tell exactly what your values are. To do that, you have to run the tests against some standards of known values and correct your readings. The tests will give you an approximate idea and let you know if there are changes in your values.

Salifert should do fine for you for everything but phosphate. Hanna is the only one to have a test that is sensitive enough for phosphate, IMO.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes your PH is fine. Pick a test kit and go with that test kit.
I have mutiples and they all show different results.
Just the nature of the hobby grade test kits.

PH is important but I agree with others here thats not the reason behind the lack of growth.

My few corals were not growing as well, then I started to feed them once a week. Been growing ever since.

OP
OP
Treenk

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that's about what I thought I turned on the lights last night and saw these under just about all the corals.
20200218_231735.jpg

20200218_231743.jpg
I know they aren't bad things but them being between paly heads scared me. Would that be the reason? Also I feed reef roids about every other week is that not enough?or the right type?I have 90% zoanthids

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what those are, so I can't say good or bad.
Others smarter than my self hopefully will chime in for you.

Feeding is a guessing game. Some say they never feed, others like myself spot feed.
Way too many variables to be conclusive either way from my currently limited experience.

I started out with just feeding the fish, and was under the impression this was sufficient for the corals. They were doing good appeared healthy and colorful but never grew.
I started to feed Reef Roids once a week and they all started grow and look even better.
So that's my story.

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those little white guys are just pineapple sponges. Harmless, and will probably all but disappear as the tank ages

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back