Which to believe...Milwaukee Refractometer or Tropic Marin High Precision Hydrometer?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry...I originally incorrectly stated the Hydrometer was 1.035 above when it IS ACTUALLY 1.0235. And the Refractometer is 1.022. Still...quite different. I corrected my original post above to say 1.0235. It sounds like the Milwaukee, while convenient, is not as accurate as I was hoping (for the cost). It sounds like I should trust my hydrometer most.
Allow the tank water to get to same temp as milwaukee instrument. Do reads 30 secs apart on same sample until stabile

APlusAquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Tropic Marin hydrometer every time. I don't trust the Milwaukee at all since I have had 2 that were both off by a good amount. The Milwaukee also never read the proper temperature which I'm sure had a lot to do with the inaccurate readings.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TL;DR all the posts but I'll give a tip I stumbled across on YT

Cover the Milwaukee hole with your finger after you drop the water in. There's a tiny light in there and any ambient light that enters throws the meter out of wack. Try it and I'm sure your results will be closer then what they were before ;)

As for this vs that, Id use a TM hydrometer over anything else out there. I have one myself and love it. My Hanna tester is on par with it after calibration. My Hanna reads 1.025 so I know I'm not very far off to the TM hydrometer.

Attachments

• 20230531_201815.jpg
    20230531_201815.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 28

Reefingpops52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Wondering what you'd do...

My new Tropic Marin High Precision Hydrometer is reading my tank at 1.0235 SG while my Milwaukee Refractometer is reading 1.022. What gives? The Milwaukee was calibrated as instructed with RODI water (direct from my new BRS 5 Stage Premium Plus 150 GPD Water Saver RO/DI System). I've heard the Hydrometer is the ultimate in precision, but it's recommended to get the milwaukee for convenience (and accuracy). What would you do in this situation? Thanks!
I recalibrate my Milwaukee every week and it stays spot on and are you zeroing it out when you calibrate it? I do it for each range .

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back