Which treatment for flame angel w/ fin rot and white stringy poop?

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I hope this isn't too similar to other threads and thanks in advance for your help!

My flame angel had been in my tank for nearly this whole calendar year, has always been active, healthy, and a good eater. Some time ago, maybe a few months (?), I noticed very slight possible fin rot on tail, anal, and very end of dorsal(?) fins. I waited to see if it would heal on its own, it hasn't, but it hasn't really gotten worse either. I feed a good amount, PE mysis and spirulina brine soaked in selcon, and also high quality pellets (can't remember name) and he eats it all, along with constantly foraging and eating pods, I think.

Well I did some research and saw recommendations for kanaplex + focus, so I've just started that almost a week ago. Appetite is still good, activity and everything else is good, he's eating the food with kana. The reason for this question is that I've also noticed long stringy white poop, not sure exactly how long now (and only other tank mate, purple tang, tried to eat it).

So do I need to use something in addition to kanaplex or will that treat whatever may be going on with the white poop? He's always been well feed and plump, never skinny, but can't tell if he's bloated related to source of white stringy poop. Here's a brief video from today. Thanks!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I clearly don't know how to post videos, so here are some stills from it instead
2AF20C04-73D3-485B-8843-A7D540F4C4A5.jpeg
3990B5FF-3A82-49E0-86F5-13A583CFC4CF.jpeg
0327C24E-10FB-4CA0-9990-A036C4E84675.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody? Quick thoughts on this? Perhaps @Jay Hemdal can offer a quick thought? Thanks!
I'm struggling to see anything in the still pics. You might be able to post the video to Youtube and then upload the link here.

Chronic fin erosion can be caused by dietary issues. However, don't confused chronic fin deterioration with on-going fin damage that tends to keep some damage visible all of the time. Your diet seems fine. What other fish are in with this one?

Jay

OP
OP
C

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll work on the video...
The only other tankmate is a purple tang, who I wouldn't think would be biting/nipping at the flame angel fins (have never seen it).

The angel does have the white stringy poop, which I'll try to photograph. would that be related to fin damage and treated with the same med, or need a different med other than kanaplex?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other tankmate is a purple tang, who I wouldn't think would be biting/nipping at the flame angel fins (have never seen it).

The angel does have the white stringy poop, which I'll try to photograph. would that be related to fin damage and treated with the same med, or need a different med other than kanaplex?
QT it and give it Kanaplex, and give it a rally bath. The stress and infection could be causing the poop to appear like that, If the poop does not improve after treatment try metroplex with focus or something that treats internal infection

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The stringy feces wouldn't be related to the fin damage through any way I can think of.

The purple tang could be the culprit - they can be pretty feisty. Remember, it only takes a nip every few days to cause continuing damage - and the chances of you seeing that happen are miniscule.

Jay

OP
OP
C

ceaver

Stability is all!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stringy feces wouldn't be related to the fin damage through any way I can think of.

The purple tang could be the culprit - they can be pretty feisty. Remember, it only takes a nip every few days to cause continuing damage - and the chances of you seeing that happen are miniscule.

Jay
Ah, I didn't realize a tang would do that, I thought they only used their scalpel for that kind of thing. Maybe that explains the fin issue.

So metro for white stringy poop then sounds like the main med needed here?

Thanks to both of you for your input!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I didn't realize a tang would do that, I thought they only used their scalpel for that kind of thing. Maybe that explains the fin issue.

So metro for white stringy poop then sounds like the main med needed here?

Thanks to both of you for your input!
Metro in the water (not food) will handle one of the three causes of mucus feces. Diet issues and bacteria won't be controlled by metro though. There isn't any "single shot" treatment though.

Jay

Back