Which type of mushroom corals reproduce by pedal laceration

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am a total newbie and am looking into mushroom frags. I am so confused about how they reproduce and which ones reproduce by pedal laceration. I am pretty sure its discosoma. I have googled it even and I cant find anything clear cut. Seems to be saying that they can reproduce in one of four ways, like splitting themselves ect. I have seen so many reef tanks with the smooth type and looks like they just spread all around and not split. Looks really pretty. I also have a credit from Unique Corals and want to make sure I order the right kind!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhodactis reproduce that way as well.

Reefer-Noob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am a total newbie and am looking into mushroom frags. I am so confused about how they reproduce and which ones reproduce by pedal laceration. I am pretty sure its discosoma. I have googled it even and I cant find anything clear cut. Seems to be saying that they can reproduce in one of four ways, like splitting themselves ect. I have seen so many reef tanks with the smooth type and looks like they just spread all around and not split. Looks really pretty. I also have a credit from Unique Corals and want to make sure I order the right kind!
Mushrooms can be a pest and take over your tank if you choose the wrong ones as well so watch out for that

OP
OP
nano reef

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms can be a pest and take over your tank if you choose the wrong ones as well so watch out for that
not a good idea to put mushroom in a ten gallon then? I am in the process of getting a 75 gallon so maybe I should wait, if even at all and I also have a bounce that I am fixing to pick up that I got from an auction so that may go crazy as well.

Reefer-Noob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not a good idea to put mushroom in a ten gallon then? I am in the process of getting a 75 gallon so maybe I should wait, if even at all and I also have a bounce that I am fixing to pick up that I got from an auction so that may go crazy as well.

I am new so don't take my word for it exactly but my father had a 110g and these green mushrooms took over like 50% of the rock work... As far as bounce mushrooms which I believe are ricordia ??? They do not reproduce the same way or nearly as quickly so I think those will be fine! Hopefully a mushroom expert will come and inform us. Haha. You could always put mushrooms on their own seperate rock away from the main scape so if they do go wild they do not take over the whole tank just the rock

ozborn99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new so don't take my word for it exactly but my father had a 110g and these green mushrooms took over like 50% of the rock work... As far as bounce mushrooms which I believe are ricordia ??? They do not reproduce the same way or nearly as quickly so I think those will be fine! Hopefully a mushroom expert will come and inform us. Haha. You could always put mushrooms on their own seperate rock away from the main scape so if they do go wild they do not take over the whole tank just the rock
Bounce is something that happens to different type of shrooms.
Id keep shrooms to their own rock, just like xenia or gsp. It grows like a weed a d isn't fun when you need real estate space for other corals.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back