Which water change schedule would be more beneficial ?

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have typically gone with a bi-weekly water change schedule on my ~90g total water volume set up. I typically do 15/20g bi weekly. I do not dose. Do you guys think it would be more beneficial chemistry wise to do a weekly 10g water change instead?

Ravsta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less equals more sometimes. If everything is in check then it might be better to leave it alone. But I’m curious if everything is going well with your current maintenance schedule, why change?

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less equals more sometimes. If everything is in check then it might be better to leave it alone. But I’m curious if everything is going well with your current maintenance schedule, why change?
Good question, just noticed a few corals not doing amazing and my alk was a little low so just wondering if more frequent smaller water changes would help keep that number up a bit

Ravsta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question, just noticed a few corals not doing amazing and my alk was a little low so just wondering if more frequent smaller water changes would help keep that number up a bit
If your alk is low it might be worth dosing alk instead? Especially if you have a lot of sps corals. Smaller and more frequent water changes may work well but it will depend on the alk uptake. I would be inclined to test alk daily to figure out the consumption rate. Also check the alk level of your new water and make sure it is in the same range as your tanks desired alk.

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’ve dabbled with the idea of dosing but tbh it kind of frightens me. I’m scared I’ll do more harm than good haha. I don’t have a ton of sps but a couple pieces that (knock on wood) seem to grow okay

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your alk is low it might be worth dosing alk instead? Especially if you have a lot of sps corals. Smaller and more frequent water changes may work well but it will depend on the alk uptake. I would be inclined to test alk daily to figure out the consumption rate. Also check the alk level of your new water and make sure it is in the same range as your tanks desired alk.
Yes I’ve dabbled with the idea of dosing but tbh it kind of frightens me. I’m scared I’ll do more harm than good haha. I don’t have a ton of sps but a couple pieces that (knock on wood) seem to grow okay

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 130l before rock i do a one bucket water change every two days as i dont dose.

Ravsta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to be afraid of lol. Just measure your uptake by testing your alkalinity daily at the same time for a couple of days. You will know what your tanks uptake is. Then use an online reef calculator to figure out how much you dose. This of course will depend on the product you use. Sodium bicarbonate is an easy product to use. I was dosing daily which got a bit tiring so I installed a Jebao doser which keeps my alk stable all day. It’s easy once you get going.

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to be afraid of lol. Just measure your uptake by testing your alkalinity daily at the same time for a couple of days. You will know what your tanks uptake is. Then use an online reef calculator to figure out how much you dose. This of course will depend on the product you use. Sodium bicarbonate is an easy product to use. I was dosing daily which got a bit tiring so I installed a Jebao doser which keeps my alk stable all day. It’s easy once you get going.
I’ll continue to consider it, idk, it just freaks me out hah. I just get worried itll
Be one more thing to worry about while on vacation, power outages, etc...

Ravsta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most dosers are wifi enabled and can be controlled and adjusted remotely. Even if you don’t do it now, you will have to one day as your sps grow ;-)

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started dosing for the first time a couple of weeks ago and i must say....its super easy. My alk and calc have remained super stable since I set up a cheap jabeo WiFi doser. I bought ati essentials 2 part and diluted the solutions 5:1 ro water.

I got a couple of test kits and started dosing each solution as per the online calculator. I tested each day at the same time to see how each dose affected the levels and adjusted accordingly until after a week or so I managed to tweak the dose amount so levels remain constant each day and dont change .

Go for it. If you dilute the solution, its pretty hard to make a super big dangerous mistake.

ReeferGuyAlexK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also prefer smaller frequent water changes. I do 10% weekly but still dose Alkalinity daily to maintain. Ca and Mg about once a week when numbers start falling a bit.

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started dosing for the first time a couple of weeks ago and i must say....its super easy. My alk and calc have remained super stable since I set up a cheap jabeo WiFi doser. I bought ati essentials 2 part and diluted the solutions 5:1 ro water.

I got a couple of test kits and started dosing each solution as per the online calculator. I tested each day at the same time to see how each dose affected the levels and adjusted accordingly until after a week or so I managed to tweak the dose amount so levels remain constant each day and dont change .

Go for it. If you dilute the solution, its pretty hard to make a super big dangerous mistake.
Maybe I’ll try it!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back