Which would you use? Muriatic acid or sodium bisulfate?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is to lower the alkalinity in (new) saltwater. I’ve used both products in the past.

Muriatic acid: Cheap but dangerous. The fumes it causes when used indoors are not great, and it’s difficult to measure with a syringe in the gallon jug it’s usually stored in, but it is easily found in hardware stores.

Sodium bisulfate: much more expensive, but there are no fumes. Getting it from Amazon (with high purity) takes longer for delivery.

Which would you choose? Cost vs. safety? I can’t decide. Ha.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All things considered, I'd use the bisulfate and reduce the risk of a spill.
Hi Randy,

I’ve been continuing with sodium bisufate to lower the alkalinity. I noticed my brute doesn’t stay pristine like it did when I used muriatic acid. I lowered the alkalinity to the same level when I used sodium bisulfate vs HCl.

Any ideas why? Is that normal? I expected both acids to work the same in reducing brown sludge build up. I use Instant Ocean Purple.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to muriatic acid. Sodium bisulfate gets spendy. I have someone measure it out for me outside and dump it in my mixing station for me. It’s much cheaper and everyone around here has a pool and is used to handling muriatic acid so it’s no big deal to get help. I also use it diluted ten to one for cleaning my pumps. It works much better and faster than vinegar or citric acid. Double bonus.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to muriatic acid. Sodium bisulfate gets spendy. I have someone measure it out for me outside and dump it in my mixing station for me. It’s much cheaper and everyone around here has a pool and is used to handling muriatic acid so it’s no big deal to get help. I also use it diluted ten to one for cleaning my pumps. It works much better and faster than vinegar or citric acid. Double bonus.
I haven’t used my sodium bisulfate yet (brand new). I’m planning on returning them and getting muriatic acid again. It was easy to use, and I just had a great idea of using this type of container, which will make using the acid MUCH safer!

468C533C-51FA-4F11-B15E-67D1BAD2D597.jpeg

Those should be safe with acid.

The problem I had in the past was that I stored my HCl in pickle jar glasses. While it was very safe to draw it out with a syringe, the acid eventually ate into the top of the lid and caused the metal of the container to leach some type of iron into the solution, discoloring it yellow.

With these special containers, I will no issues!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is to lower the alkalinity in (new) saltwater. I’ve used both products in the past.

Muriatic acid: Cheap but dangerous. The fumes it causes when used indoors are not great, and it’s difficult to measure with a syringe in the gallon jug it’s usually stored in, but it is easily found in hardware stores.

Sodium bisulfate: much more expensive, but there are no fumes. Getting it from Amazon (with high purity) takes longer for delivery.

Which would you choose? Cost vs. safety? I can’t decide. Ha.
I just use Muriatic, 1 litre is good for 400 water changes for me.
I just wear thick gloves and protective eyewear

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask how much water your treating with this for wc's? I've heard two schools of thought on this. One saying match the dt and one saying the % change is negligible... Depending on the volume obviously. Curious

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask how much water your treating with this for wc's? I've heard two schools of thought on this. One saying match the dt and one saying the % change is negligible... Depending on the volume obviously. Curious
I think it depends on the alkalinity of the salt mix vs the target alkalinity in the display + the % change need to be taken into account.

I prefer to match everything. :)

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to want to make sure you decant and dilute your muriatic acid outside. The fumes are really nasty, and they also will seriously corrode any metal things nearby. You don't want those fumes inside your house or fish room.

Last edited:

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on the alkalinity of the salt mix vs the target alkalinity in the display + the % change need to be taken into account.

I prefer to match everything. :)
Thanks. I hear you and it certainly makes sense. Backing up a little to the bisulfate, I wonder if the sludge could be whatever the 0.5% is; idk if that's enough to even matter... Again, curious. I have that stuff in my cart ;)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to want to make sure you decant and dilute your muriatic acid outside. The fumes are really nasty, and they also will seriously corrode any metal things nearby. You don't want those fumes inside your house or fish room.
Thanks, Jim.

Where would you store the diluted HCl? Any DIY options? Would pickle jars work with a diluted solution?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I hear you and it certainly makes sense. Backing up a little to the bisulfate, I wonder if the sludge could be whatever the 0.5% is; idk if that's enough to even matter... Again, curious. I have that stuff in my cart ;)
Not sure. I thought it was from the salt mix?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,

I’ve been continuing with sodium bisufate to lower the alkalinity. I noticed my brute doesn’t stay pristine like it did when I used muriatic acid. I lowered the alkalinity to the same level when I used sodium bisulfate vs HCl.

Any ideas why? Is that normal? I expected both acids to work the same in reducing brown sludge build up. I use Instant Ocean Purple.

I cannot think of any reason the effects would be different.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot think of any reason the effects would be different.
Alright. I will continue with the bisulfate in that case. Thank you for continuing to answer my questions, even if they might be ridiculous at times lol.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. I will continue with the bisulfate in that case. Thank you for continuing to answer my questions, even if they might be ridiculous at times lol.

Not ridiculous at all. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back