OP
OP
Whip

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I appreciate the reply. I over engineer everything so I understand. My long term plans are to automate water changes but this is the first step. Forgive me if you already posted it but where did you get the RODI tanks? I like that they're square and fit well with your organization in your garage. Thanks!

Back when I bought them, they had free shipping. Nowadays, it costs more to ship them then the cost of the vessel.

Try a local farm and ranch store or tractor supply store.

If you can’t find them there, try online. If you wish to duplicate my setup, you’re looking for “55 gallon plastic tank”. Google that and you can see if you can one with free shipping.

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OCDean,

Your idea is pretty slick. I see what you mean.

What chamber are you planning on feeding your UV from? I am asking, because I like your idea!

Maybe one of these days, they will make a reef-safe dye that is UV sensitive. You put the dye in your DT and see how long it takes to go through the UV. Until then...
Hi Whip,

I was going to feed my UV from the skimmer chamber, near the back of the sump. Right now my RS sump is open, and I am not using that refugium divider. I do intend to add that refugium divider to the first section immediately after the filter cups/socks, and then put my skimmer in the rear chamber towards the back wall. Would then feed my UV from that section where the skimmer is, and output into the sponge filter section. I am not running that sponge although a lot of people probably do.

@DesertReefer51's idea is actually much smarter, so once I hard plumb my return that is something that I'll consider adopting. Perhaps adding a backup valve in there to further prevent back siphon from the return line would improve that setup even more. Smart idea @DesertReefer51, thanks for sharing!

Alberta79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also started my reefer 525xl build and have come to a crossroad regarding the uv. My UV will be installed in the fish room behind the tank. What are your thoughts
Option 1. Run my return pump directly to the Uv and to the tank @ 700GPH. Then run a separate pump to a manifold that runs algae scrubber and possible media reactor.
Option 2. Run the uv off the manifold. Pump would be in skimmer chamber and the the UV would return to return chamber.

OP
OP
Whip

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also started my reefer 525xl build and have come to a crossroad regarding the uv. My UV will be installed in the fish room behind the tank. What are your thoughts
Option 1. Run my return pump directly to the Uv and to the tank @ 700GPH. Then run a separate pump to a manifold that runs algae scrubber and possible media reactor.
Option 2. Run the uv off the manifold. Pump would be in skimmer chamber and the the UV would return to return chamber.

Both options sound great. Option 1 will take a meaty pump. Depending on what you want to push to your UV, your pump will need to push enough to your tank to keep it balanced. Head and loses add up quick and quickly reduce your pumps capacity. The pump curve for the VarioS 8 drops like a rock... and it only includes head. Add your k’s (loses from 90’s, tees, flowmeters, etc.) and you will quickly find yourself unable to balance your tank.

1588998826294.jpeg

I like Option 2 and am actually debating doing that myself

Last edited:

Alberta79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 core 20 pumps. 1 for the return and 1 for the manifold. Hope to have water in the tank by june 1st to start the cycle.

Blammomike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO (clear tubing) and Fresh Saltwater In (white tubing) downspout installed. It is the one furthest to the right.

In the corner is Dirty Saltwater Out (black tubing).

So close to auto-waterchanges!!!

upload_2019-3-2_20-31-14.jpeg
What type/size screws did you use to mount the pipe holders? And what sire did you get the PVC fittings?

OP
OP
Whip

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LBCobra,

Thanks for following along on my build.

I got the pipe holders from some crazy place called Farmer Boy Ag... they were great!

https://www.farmerboyag.com/Quick-Latch-Pipe-Hangers?updatecartitemid=0

They were like $1.18 each. They are very similar to the ones sold at BRS for $5.99 each.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sm-clamp-for-pvc-pipe.html
I secured them by drilling a starter hole and installing a stainless steel screw. It took a while to find the right screw. I ended up getting some stainless, pan-head screws from Amazon. They were a little pricey, but I wanted stainless to reduce the chance of rusting. They are 1/16” too long, so I had to grind off the very tip of the screw, but because I drilled a starter hole, the tip of the screw wasn’t needed anyway.

Phillips Pancake Head Sheet Metal...

@Blammomike

Please see the above two quotes. They should answer your questions.

OP
OP
Whip

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oof... every time I see pics of your sump if makes the jealously rise, @Whip :p . Beautiful as always!

Thank you and thanks for always stopping by my build thread here and there. I appreciate it.

Anyway, as many of you know, I converted my RSR ATO Reservoir into a shelf to hold an ATS, but I just haven’t needed one. I have zero nutrient problems and algae is a non-concern, so I figured this was an opportunity to NOT add something to my system. With that said, I decided to use my shelf to raise brine shrimp and, eventually, copepod and phytoplankton cultures. The brine shrimp thing has been of fun (and stupid easy). I’ll post pics of the copepod/phytoplankton after I get it up and running.

1598202590732.jpeg

I already have a ton of pods, but this big guy (almost 3” long) has been hammering them...

1598202946991.jpeg

OP
OP
Whip

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I have been having problems with my new SPS bleaching and I wasn’t sure why. Yes, it’s a newer tank, but I was still perplexed. Anyway, I got a PAR meter and found out why... 500+ at the top and 350+ at the bottom!

2DE9AEBE-1648-4645-AEDE-9C811FA6CAEC.jpeg

My lights are 16” off of the surface of the water, but I am still pushing high PAR. Needless to say, I quickly learned how to build my own light program and toned it down a bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Whip

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a while. Things have been going well, but it is time to deal with a CO2 problem!

Long-Story-Short:

I Like to run my pH between 8.0 and 8.3. In the early days, I tried to feed my skimmer outdoor air via 3/8” tubing; that never really worked. I found that opening a window worked and life was good.

6F8A0FC6-FC9E-4DDC-8FAE-A97683F38DBB.jpeg

(I do dose one gallon of 2t/gal kalk per night for 10 hours AND run chaeto on a reverse light cycle. I also run ozone for four hours per night)

With the cooler weather, I had to close the window and my ph dropped (no surprise).

F622565B-63D2-4BEE-BDB4-DF3C9CEB722A.jpeg

To combat this, I had to install a closed-loop recirculating CO2 scrubber.

To do this, I had to disable to coolest thing about my skimmer... it had built in mechanical overflow protection. Because I disabled that (and I hate skimmer overflows), I ran a float switch off of a breakout box to shut it down incase if an overflow event.

As many if you may already know, I run ozone. This added just a touch if complexity as everything had to be ozone resistant.

My Deltec already had two breather holes, so I just needed to drill them both larger...

D91779D1-2435-4842-854B-E5603F620B2D.jpeg

99DD1E7B-01CB-4227-B544-5FA318E97542.jpeg

Then thread the holes...

FA497721-8B57-45C8-952D-AED47E476FA2.jpeg

Install the hardware...

37FEE14D-0291-4C34-AD9F-13FF67048C5B.jpeg

83A9B993-6D0D-4272-AA24-1BA61BB707AE.jpeg

Done!

D07808FE-2013-42AA-A26C-43BA64A15691.jpeg

B874046E-D850-44AC-B784-2178FCD34580.jpeg

Now I just have to write in some code to reduce the risk of having pH exceed 8.45.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back