White aiptasia?

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We inherited a tank from friend that was moving. Small tank with two clowns. Fish are about 5 years old and we were told they spit out young'ins about once a year.
On the live rock were these guys.

37ee6c06f6e0db950c882786dde847a0.jpg

At first I thought they might be some kind of condy, but their structure sure looks aiptasia like to me.
5038f0b5bdd6a59505e475bc1645d901.jpg

2270dd1030d1f3558256806a3b479000.jpg

831a04903ee1f74c24036e61e82637c4.jpg

Any body have any ID?

Friend or foe?

Tia

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia I think. Peppermint shrimp will clean them OUT! The nice thing is that they eat them down to the rock. These things can regrow from just a speck of tissue, but the shrimp take em down.

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx. I finally broke down and got a couple from lfs. Put them in tankblast week and haven't seen since. Idk. Read a few threads on vanishing peps and I'm leaning toward alien abduction.
I'm going to try a few more before I pull the trigger on another round of berghias.

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS's sometimes mis-ID "peppermint shrimp". Either because either they or their suppliers don't know the differences ( inexcusable) or don't care (MORE inexcusable). There are at least seven species of shrimp that closely resemble each other and are frequently confused ( the ID's, not the shrimp). Goggle "how to identify Peppermint Shrimp". Several good articles will come up that will help. True Peppermint's ARE reef safe, but the others are not. They will take care of your Aptasia but won't hurt your corals. Bergia nudi's will work too, but the problem with them is once the Aptasia are gone they'll starve unless you can remove them (which may require pulling the rock to find them. MAJOR PIA).

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS's sometimes mis-ID "peppermint shrimp". Either because either they or their suppliers don't know the differences ( inexcusable) or don't care (MORE inexcusable).

This is exactly why I purchased from multiple vendors - my LFS (who I DON'T fully trust on the correct identification) and from LiveAquaria. None seemed interested in the Aiptasia. Stealing food from the corals' mouth they were cool with which leads me to believe i may have had other factors involved. ;)

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a further thought. Those might not be Aptasia, though they sure look like them. If they're Mojanos the shrimp probably wouldn't touch them. Either way they need to be dealt with. They can absolutely take over.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back