White at the end of my puffers fins

rpmathews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recently purchased a small porcupine puffer for my 75 gallon aquarium originally i put him in my main system since my quarantine system was taken up but then noticed little white spots and i moved him over to the quarantine system over the past couple days i noticed the top of his left fin was white and i don't know what it is, i thought it was fin rot at first but it does not look like the fin rot i have seen on my other fish in the past so could y'all please try to help me figure out what it is.

IMG_2743.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It does look like the edges of its pectoral fins are cloudy and a bit tattered. Was it in with any other fish that might have nipped it? Is the puffer eating well?
You might consider dosing a broad spectrum antibiotic in the treatment tank. Furan-2, Neoplex or even Maracyn 2 . Be sure to monitor the ammonia level closely, and watch for white spots on the fish (ich) as this is pretty common in new puffers.
Jay

OP
OP
R

rpmathews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It does look like the edges of its pectoral fins are cloudy and a bit tattered. Was it in with any other fish that might have nipped it? Is the puffer eating well?
You might consider dosing a broad spectrum antibiotic in the treatment tank. Furan-2, Neoplex or even Maracyn 2 . Be sure to monitor the ammonia level closely, and watch for white spots on the fish (ich) as this is pretty common in new puffers.
Jay
he's eating fine i saw a little bit of aggression with some of the fish in my main display but it calmed down after a few minutes i am treating my quarantine tank with copper aid since another fish that i recently got has white spot disease. the puffer is eating well he eats any time i put food in the tank and that usually 2 to 3 times a day but thank you for your help

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he's eating fine i saw a little bit of aggression with some of the fish in my main display but it calmed down after a few minutes i am treating my quarantine tank with copper aid since another fish that i recently got has white spot disease. the puffer is eating well he eats any time i put food in the tank and that usually 2 to 3 times a day but thank you for your help
If it gets worse, dose with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic, otherwise, just observe it for now.

Jay

Back