mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
Title pretty much says it all.
Anyone know they are ?
I know the orange covering must be some kind of little sponge I think, wondering if anyone knew exactly what kind though.
Have no idea what the white balls are though.

IMG_20190912_211655.jpg IMG_20190913_124713.jpg IMG_20190912_211701.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i see polyps on thr orange so i lean toward a monti of some sort. The balls are either bubble algae thats been in the dark or a spongr type.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been following your id threads. I know you pull a lot of stuff directly out of the sea and I love these posts of yours. I can’t id this but I am following along. Please continue to post these. I know some people feel like they are being a nuisance posting these id threads, but believe me, we love them. Keep posting away!!!

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been following your id threads. I know you pull a lot of stuff directly out of the sea and I love these posts of yours. I can’t id this but I am following along. Please continue to post these. I know some people feel like they are being a nuisance posting these id threads, but believe me, we love them. Keep posting away!!!
Thanks man! There are a few things I haven't posted not wanting to be like the kid that is always asking annoying questions "what is this?" "now what is this?" "what could this be?" haha.

now that the water temps have started cooling down, I am seeing more of a variety of fish and "things" coming from the cool, deeper water. Rocks are getting more colourful again. I only head down to the beach on the last hour before sunset while its not to hot, so some things are a little shadowed. I always come out the ocean bleeding. My hands and feet sliced up from those rocks haha. My limbs are almost healed by the weekend so I can do it again lol.

I also had some super flat, white sea slug looking things, moving along the glass the next morning, I tried to take photos but my clownfish noticed what I was doing and promptly ate them all.

Usually I make sure to take the crabs off what I find, however this time I removed the gorilla looking crabs and kept another three kinds I didn't recognize. I'm keen to see how they do.
besides my fish, most of the tank is slowly turning into a mimic of the environment on the beach by me.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man! There are a few things I haven't posted not wanting to be like the kid that is always asking annoying questions "what is this?" "now what is this?" "what could this be?" haha.

now that the water temps have started cooling down, I am seeing more of a variety of fish and "things" coming from the cool, deeper water. Rocks are getting more colourful again. I only head down to the beach on the last hour before sunset while its not to hot, so some things are a little shadowed. I always come out the ocean bleeding. My hands and feet sliced up from those rocks haha. My limbs are almost healed by the weekend so I can do it again lol.

I also had some super flat, white sea slug looking things, moving along the glass the next morning, I tried to take photos but my clownfish noticed what I was doing and promptly ate them all.

Usually I make sure to take the crabs off what I find, however this time I removed the gorilla looking crabs and kept another three kinds I didn't recognize. I'm keen to see how they do.
besides my fish, most of the tank is slowly turning into a mimic of the environment on the beach by me.
Don’t feel shy to post here. This is a forum after all. I think pics win everyone over. Post pics and more pics. You can’t post too many. I’ve enjoyed your post to honest. And it’s cool to see what comes out of the water where you live.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t feel shy to post here. This is a forum after all. I think pics win everyone over. Post pics and more pics. You can’t post too many. I’ve enjoyed your post to honest. And it’s cool to see what comes out of the water where you live.
There seems to be a lot of new stuff here to discover too....
"
Published: February 16, 2015 By Sami Zaatari, Special to Gulf News
Abu Dhabi: It’s been known that the coast of the UAE contains an abundance of coral reefs, but one of the main issues has been not knowing their location.
The undiscovered coral reefs in the UAE’s waters led to a project in order to locate and be able to map them, allowing scientists to understand and learn more about the UAE’s coral reefs. The mapping project was undertaken by the Ministry of Environment and Water, involving John A. Burt of New York University Abu Dhabi.
Speaking at a conference on coral reefs in Arabia, held at NYUAD, Professor Burt discussed the mapping project and the methods used to map the undiscovered reefs, “We don’t know where a lot of the reefs are, and we also don’t know the conditions of a lot of these reefs, with many of these reefs probably undergoing substantial changes which we don’t know much about. So the purpose of this [project] was to go out there and make a study to map reefs in the UAE, focusing more on the northern emirates, because we do have quite considerable information on Dubai and Abu Dhabi.”

"Large undiscovered coral reef areas were found in the seas off Sharjah, Ajman, and Umm Al Quwain, with 151 sites in total, and 60 of those sites having been previously unreported as containing coral reefs, according to Professor Burt. He said that in terms of the status of the coral reefs, many showed signs of degradation, while also containing several living species."

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Montipora.
Thanks. Its only been a few days but it seems to be doing alright in my tank with the standard lighting.
I only found this little rock (it was a proper rock) with it growing on the surface, no calcified structure so it must be quite "young". It was growing on the underside in shaded area (underneath an overhang).

Back