OP
OP
Dash

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are suggesting dosing Prazi & Kanaplex into his food, while at the same time dosing the water?

I fear you are correct. The other sore appeared the same way. First, resembling a pimple, ie. some sort of build-up beneath the skin, then breaking open to a white open sore.

Last edited:

BootyPup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with Snape, I know how easy it is to attach to fish, especially YWG.
I hope everything turns up okay.

OP
OP
Dash

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is tough. He is continuing on as if nothing was amiss. His fins, colour, appetite all good. Until he gives up, I guess I won't. He was my first fish in my first tank, and I hope he'll be the first fish in the new tank I'm setting up right now.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are suggesting dosing Prazi & Kanaplex into his food, while at the same time dosing the water?

I fear you are correct. The other sore appeared the same way. First, resembling a pimple, ie. some sort of build-up beneath the skin, then breaking open to a white open sore.

This is what I would do in your shoes right now -

For the internal parasites/infection: Feed metronidazole soaked food in the AM, Kanaplex soaked food in the PM. Or vice versa. Metro is far more effective at clearing intestinal worms than prazi.

For the external sores: Dose Furan-2 + Kanaplex + Metroplex into the QT. The first two medications are broad spectrum antibiotics which can be combined to increase the spectrum of treatment. Dosing metro into the water treats anaerobic bacterial fish diseases (rare), and also brook & uronema (the red sores could possibly be the latter.)

If you do all that, then IMO you are doing everything you possibly can to save this fish. :)

OP
OP
Dash

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish, thought this might interest you...

The debris I showed last time were of very small "worms." Today Snape expelled one that was fairly long considering his size. I would say, stretched out, about 3/4".
IMG_0380.JPG

Poor guy. I don't know if you all heard the news about that N. Korean soldier who just escaped and they found he had stomach worms. Snape can empathize for sure!

Question...I read that antibiotics can be tough on fish and to maybe run them for 5 days, have a 3-day break before repeating. However I read you were of the opinion that it's best to run meds for 10 days for them to be effective?

He did not expel these worms until meds were added to his food. Perhaps that explains why his sores were not healing?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes!

If he's fighting something like that, he's got less reserves to battle sores, so yeah ... getting rid of that ought to help.

Antibiotics do change water chemistry from natural seawater, so they're not a perfect solution - and they seem to work slowly in marine fish, hence the ten-day thing.

~Bruce, not the pro that Humblefish is . . .

OP
OP
Dash

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bruce, thanks for the input. I forgot it's Thanksgiving down there - hope you enjoyed your feasting:)

Yeah a couple of days in Furan just completely cleared up my puffer's cloudy eye, so with Snape heading towards almost 2 months of this, it's a bit frustrating.

OP
OP
Dash

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snape update...
Well, it’s been 3 months meds and he is still in hospital quarantine.;Blackeye There have been days when I was hopeful & thought he looked better only to feel frustration when another little sore opened up. He’s had continuous rounds of Prazi, Furan, Metro, Kana. The thing that keeps me going is his tenacity. The bottom part of his belly seems to have healed but the little sores on either side persist so something is still there. He is doing fine in his little 5-gallon and often rises up to the surface in hopes of food when he sees me.

Grrr...just wish I could beat this. He continues to expel worms. Here’s one from yesterday
83DFF9F7-8542-4B76-AB8B-B5F1D7B5DC77.jpeg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, he’s still passing worms?

Have you been feeding metroplex in drained frozen foods? Use seachem focus and metroplex concurrently. Focus bonds the metro to the food so that it’s infested and doesn’t immediately dissipate out of the food.

This should clear up the worms much faster and perhaps give its body more energy to fight off the other infections.

OP
OP
Dash

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, right? How many worms does this guy have??
He took to spitting out any food that was dosed with meds so I’ve just been adding to water per package instructions. Very frustrating

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a suggestion that if you make a paste with Focus & let it dry, fish will eat it. I’ll give it a try
I add selcon and garlic guard to mine, I’ve never had any fish snub nose it. In fairness, mine eat strained/drained frozen foods mixed in selcon and garlic daily so it wasn’t perhaps much of a change but they ate it voraciously

OP
OP
Dash

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:confused::confused::confused:Well I mixed his mysis with Metro/Focus, let it soak for an hour, set aside a portion that I sort of spread out so it dried a bit. And he ate it with gusto!
I will feed for 10-14 days per Humblefish’s advice that I read somewhere.
Fingers crossed

Ps. I may be overthinking this...would that be 5-7 doses (10-14 days) or 10-14 doses (20-28 days) assuming Metro is every other day?:confused:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dash

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snape update....(sorry, it’s long)

Well, I made a very tough judgment call. I upgraded in the new year, and Snape was unfortunately not able to join his buddy Blondie in the big move. After 4 long months in QT & running the gamut of treatments suggested here, I decided to give Snape a chance to live a better life & put him into the new DT. Blondie had reclaimed his old spot in the cave I recreated but Snape refused to go in his old home & swam around all night. In the morning he was in a different hole at the opposite end of a 6” tank. I was sad that they would be apart. Lo and behold, I saw Blondie come out behind him busily building as he used to do. In the months after I took Snape out, I never saw the shrimp as he plugged up all his entrances with shells - only once when I moved him to the new tank. Just 1 night and they reunited & were happily going about their business - amazing that the little shrimp travelled so far ! I know they’re simple little creatures but I swear they looked so happy.

Here’s the thing...Snape’s condition has definitely improved, with skin having re-grown over the once exposed tummy. However, he still has a couple of dimples and I don’t think they’re scars. There is still something inside festering away. He also continued to pass stringy white poop/worms. I am at a loss. He’s had multiple treatments of Kana, Metro, Furan, Prazi (even at double the recommended dose) - both in the water & in food. It just got to the point that I think he got immune to the meds? Who knows.

I’m hoping perhaps the better environment will help him heal. As always he seems unaffected. He eats well. He comes out more now (used to being in the open after months in QT) and goes for a little stroll in the morning before returning home to Blondie. But I’m still very worried about him. What can I do for this guy? :( Other meds I can try?

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back