White bugs appeared in my tank out of no where?

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've never added copepods into my tank before and I just looked at my tank right now and there are a crazy amount of white bugs swimming around. I never added live rock or used anything from another tank. Are these copepods or a pest of some sort?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add corals? That would be my guess where they came from. Hard to say what they are exactly without a photo or at least a more detailed description.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add corals? That would be my guess where they came from. Hard to say what they are exactly without a photo or at least a more detailed description.

Yeah I have a few frags in here. They are tiny little white things that all look the same with like a little tail (i think). That's really as descriptive as I can get. and they wont really show up on my camera.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your description(without a photo were just guessing), they certainly sound like copepods.

Little white bugs that scurry around everywhere with a small tail. Sounds like copepods to me. Check your tank at night after a few hours of your lights being off. They will be all over your glass.

They more then likely hitch hiked a ride in on a frag plug.

ReadySet-Flow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they're not pests, they're little tiny detrivores. If they're iiiiity bitty specs on the glass and you're just seeing a bunch of them, it's perfectly normal and a sign that your tank is beginning to mature.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%

Back