White build up on glass...

anygiven60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago I kept getting a bacterial bloom and it seemed like it lasted for two days after I would change socks... zapped my nutrients to 0 every time and ultimately lost a lot of color on my sps. I would wake up the next day to all the inside glass coated with white. Easily removed with the soft side of a flipper. I tossed the socks and started to use a power filter instead and wow what a difference that little thing makes. I no longer have the blooms due to the sock change out BUT... I do get the blooms if I feed any type of coral food or try to dose any aminos or vitamins. I do not carbon dose, never have. System is simple: skimmer, rock in fuge and power filter. Any ideas what type of bacteria I am looking at and what I can do to minimize it to levels that allow me to dose again?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if a UV unit would help, but it would be nice if you could post some shots of the bacteria with only white lighting.

OP
OP
A

anygiven60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how I missed the response to this, apologizes.

It's not a slimy build up on the glass or rocks it more resembles a dust once the flipper slides over it and it goes into the water column. The past few weeks I could go about 3 days or so without cleaning the glass but here recently I woke up to white glass again and ticked off corals. The only things that I can think of that have been out of routine are two things. 1) I fried up some pork sausage the day before it started to ramp up again. 2) the goby has been kicking up a lot of dust in areas he hasn't dug into before.

I should note too, that once I clean the glass from the build up, the water is very clear as it normally is. It's not cloudy during one of these "blooms"

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back