White bumps on yellow tang

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over a month ago now, my yellow tang developed some white bumps. I've witnessed ich in the past, not in this tank, and it does not appear to be that. The bumps are larger and more pronounced than ich and the bumps have stayed in the same place the whole time. Only in the last couple of days, some brown marks have started showing up. I haven't seen him scratching or flashing once and he still eats like a pig. I've had this tang for a year and a half, and the most recent fish was added six months ago. Does anyone have an idea of what this might be and how to cure it? Bacterial?
IMG_3504.JPG

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue but it’s interesting. I would personally say ( and with zero authority) that if the fish seems fine and healthy I wouldn’t be terribly concerned. Maybe it scraped against a rock and just formed a little scar tissue?

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is Lymphocystis which is a virus and not very dangerous. Treatment is suppression via good healthy environment (good water, nutritious food, low stress for the fish). The fish immune system should then suppress it. Having said that get opinions from others who know more about fish disease than me. But if it is lymphocystis then there is not much to worry about.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not Lympho. Appears to be monogenian flukes and possibly turbellian worms above. The white marks can also be mucus spores from previous parasite issue but im leaning towards monogenians treated with Formalin based medication such as quick Cure or Ruby Rally Pro

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Lympho. Appears to be monogenian flukes and possibly turbellian worms above. The white marks can also be mucus spores from previous parasite issue but im leaning towards monogenians treated with Formalin based medication such as quick Cure or Ruby Rally Pro
Good thing we have people like you here! Not my thread but I’ve noticed how helpful you are and it’s appreciated @vetteguy53081

OP
OP
Dorado

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input everyone
I looked up the Ruby Rally Pro and it says it's reef safe, do you have any experience with this product? I wasn't able to find a "quick cure," do you know the manufacturer name? Is it likely that all of the fish now have this parasite?

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked up quick cure as well. I don’t think they make it anymore. It was made by Fritz Mardel. Couldn’t find anyone that sells it.

You can also buy 37% Formalin. Add I drop per gallon of water and dip fish for 45 min. Not reef safe.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the input everyone

I looked up the Ruby Rally Pro and it says it's reef safe, do you have any experience with this product? I wasn't able to find a "quick cure," do you know the manufacturer name? Is it likely that all of the fish now have this parasite?
It’s my choice of medication and reef safe

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over a month ago now, my yellow tang developed some white bumps. I've witnessed ich in the past, not in this tank, and it does not appear to be that. The bumps are larger and more pronounced than ich and the bumps have stayed in the same place the whole time. Only in the last couple of days, some brown marks have started showing up. I haven't seen him scratching or flashing once and he still eats like a pig. I've had this tang for a year and a half, and the most recent fish was added six months ago. Does anyone have an idea of what this might be and how to cure it? Bacterial?
IMG_3504.JPG

Are these only on the right side of the fish or are there some on the left as well? The reason why is that parasites are usually evenly spread about, but scrapes and injuries often show up in more localized areas.....

Jay

OP
OP
Dorado

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these only on the right side of the fish or are there some on the left as well? The reason why is that parasites are usually evenly spread about, but scrapes and injuries often show up in more localized areas.....

Jay
They're more prominently on one side, but there are a few on the other side. I really don't believe that they are scrapes.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm just a little apprehensive after reading some reviews saying that Ruby Rally had some ill effects on coral. I might have to try to catch and dose the Ruby Rally in quarantine.
I’ve used it several times with no effect on coral but quarantine works !

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back