White 'carbonate' film on glass?

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Instant Ocean Reef salt, but am not sure if this observation I"m experiencing is limited to this salt mix. Ever since I've set up the aquarium, I've noticed a white coating to all panes of the glass - I use a sponge to clean it off, and then a month or so down the road, it re-appears.

Is this calcium precipitate build up perhaps? It's not slime for sure, it looks and feels the same as the residue left over after mixing salt in a bucket.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Instant Ocean Reef salt, but am not sure if this observation I"m experiencing is limited to this salt mix. Ever since I've set up the aquarium, I've noticed a white coating to all panes of the glass - I use a sponge to clean it off, and then a month or so down the road, it re-appears.

Is this calcium precipitate build up perhaps? It's not slime for sure, it looks and feels the same as the residue left over after mixing salt in a bucket.

Do you add only clear salt water and fresh water to the tank?

Do you dose calcium and alkalinity?

Is the sand hardening?

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you add only clear salt water and fresh water to the tank?

Do you dose calcium and alkalinity?

Is the sand hardening?
The water I'm adding is indeed clear - RODI is used for the daily top off as required. I am not dosing Calcium no - right now I only have soft corals, but will be getting into some LPS later. Alkalinity - yes, I am dosing and just enough to keep dKH at 8.2 - I have it stabilized at that number.

Sand hardening - I'd say no, it's still quite loose.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water I'm adding is indeed clear - RODI is used for the daily top off as required. I am not dosing Calcium no - right now I only have soft corals, but will be getting into some LPS later. Alkalinity - yes, I am dosing and just enough to keep dKH at 8.2 - I have it stabilized at that number.

Sand hardening - I'd say no, it's still quite loose.

Then it is probably not calcium carbonate. Not sure what it is though.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then it is probably not calcium carbonate. Not sure what it is though.
It is very strange yes - I am thinking it's the salt mix that I"m using - when touching the glass it feels like powder to the finger - I see some of this in the salt mix bucket too. Not sure if anyone here using the same salt has the same experience, but hoping someone see's this post and can confirm.

I don't know how to switch salt brands - it might be too risky.....

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be leftover from the sand? What I am thinking of is usually the fine sort of powder that can come from bags of sand.

If you switch salts, don't worry. Its not that big of a deal to do so.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very strange yes - I am thinking it's the salt mix that I"m using - when touching the glass it feels like powder to the finger - I see some of this in the salt mix bucket too. Not sure if anyone here using the same salt has the same experience, but hoping someone see's this post and can confirm.

I don't know how to switch salt brands - it might be too risky.....

The precipitation that happens in new salt water usually doesn’t continue in a reef tank due to the presence of phosphate and organics that inhibit precipitation.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long are you mixing your salt for prior to adding to your tank? If it's taking a month to appear, might just be standard algae? Does your CUC eat any of it?

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be leftover from the sand? What I am thinking of is usually the fine sort of powder that can come from bags of sand.

If you switch salts, don't worry. Its not that big of a deal to do so.
Don't believe it's from the substrate - I did not stir it up during the refilling of the tank.

Switching salts: if you know of a good, safe and proven technique, please share! Thanks

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long are you mixing your salt for prior to adding to your tank? If it's taking a month to appear, might just be standard algae? Does your CUC eat any of it?
I mixed it the day before - stuck a powerhead in the bucket and waited for 24 hours - the bucket is a blue Lowe's one, so I can see that there's no white residue at the bottom or sides - it's most strange because after I filled the tank with the water, I noticed it an hour later. CUC - nope, they don't care for it as they are busy on the substrate and rock doing some clean up :)

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The precipitation that happens in new salt water usually doesn’t continue in a reef tank due to the presence of phosphate and organics that inhibit precipitation.
Hmm, unless the phosphate level is low enough. I'll check on the level and report back.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt creap. I know if there's lost of bubbles there can be a fine white film over everything.

It's really different that water standing and evaporating. That forms a crust but bubbles popping definitely can cause a thin white film.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't believe it's from the substrate - I did not stir it up during the refilling of the tank.

Switching salts: if you know of a good, safe and proven technique, please share! Thanks

What kind of mechanical filtration do you run? Maybe siphon the sand a little and use a flocculant? That is really my only guess if its not precipitant.

As for switching salts, it doesn't make a big difference how you go about it. They shouldn't be dramatically different from one another apart from alk/calcium/mag levels. Even then, I wouldn't worry. I recommend red sea salt or red sea coral pro. I recommend coral pro unless you run ultra low nitrate and phosphate

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back