White dots on clownfish

Reef Boi Rich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of my first fishes in my first tank and I was not able to set up a QT yet so I just risked it and put these clowns in my DT. Did I make a horrible mistake?

95F87764-0961-4802-9A60-42AE5FA5B3FD.jpeg

What are these white dots? Could it be ich or flukes? How should I proceed?

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of my first fishes in my first tank and I was not able to set up a QT yet so I just risked it and put these clowns in my DT. Did I make a horrible mistake?

95F87764-0961-4802-9A60-42AE5FA5B3FD.jpeg

What are these white dots? Could it be ich or flukes? How should I proceed?

It looks like it could possibly be ich. It's always best to QT all animals including coral and inverts before adding them to a tank. What do you currently have in the tank? Any inverts? Any coral?

OP
OP
Reef Boi Rich

Reef Boi Rich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm starting to collect equipment now and for any future additions I'll definitely start quarantining. My 45 gal tank is currently stocked with 2 clown fish and 1 banggai Cardinal. For inverts I have 5 snails and about 10 hermit crabs. Corals I have a torch, frogspawn, favites, leptoseris, ricordea, xenia, GSP, zoas, and a leather. About 2 weeks ago my other clown show some black spots but when I made a post about that I got replies saying that it was just stung by corals and they are starting to fade a bit now.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm starting to collect equipment now and for any future additions I'll definitely start quarantining. My 45 gal tank is currently stocked with 2 clown fish and 1 banggai Cardinal. For inverts I have 5 snails and about 10 hermit crabs. Corals I have a torch, frogspawn, favites, leptoseris, ricordea, xenia, GSP, zoas, and a leather. About 2 weeks ago my other clown show some black spots but when I made a post about that I got replies saying that it was just stung by corals and they are starting to fade a bit now.

Well if it is ich then the tank has been exposed. At this point you would need to remove the fish and let your DT tank go fallow without adding any fish. I think the magic number is ~72 days. Then you can choose to monitor the clown to ensure it has ich or start a treatment process. I would also treat for parasites/flukes while waiting to see if it is actually ich. I either use API General Cure (the better option as it treats for more) or Prazipro.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back