White dots on snail shells

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like spirorbid snails to me, they look like they're alive still. I just picked up these snails from the LFS. i was thinking about just taking them back tomorrow instead of letting this nuisance loose in my tank. i was wondering if anyone know if there was a way i could remove them. I know they're not harmful in the tank but they are an eyesore to me. maybe some dip or scraping to save me a trip. If not im going to leave them in the jar in the sump overnight and take them back.

unnamed (10).jpg

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also would they be able to survive in that jar over night? it has a lid and would be heated

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know theyre harmless i had them on my rocks before, i just dont like looking at them in the tank
Ah sorry! I thought you were looking for an ID bc I saw it’s under the ID forum. Seems like it would be very difficult to keep these worms out of a tank long term. I’m guessing they’ll find their way in one way or another. I’m not sure how long they would last in a jar, hopefully someone else can help. Good luck!

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah sorry! I thought you were looking for an ID bc I saw it’s under the ID forum. Seems like it would be very difficult to keep these worms out of a tank long term. I’m guessing they’ll find their way in one way or another. I’m not sure how long they would last in a jar, hopefully someone else can help. Good luck!
all good i appreciate the response, i also wasn't sure where else to post it. they should be fine in the jar overnight from what i read, but ill do a water change on it to make sure

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update for anyone that may read this at a later date, i wound up keeping a portion of the snails. I scraped the spirorbid snail shells off of them (some only had three or 4) and gave them a good scrub with a toothbrush. This was all done the next day after they say in the jar in the sump overnight. The remaining snails i had to give back to the LFS as "donations", pretty annoying/crazy.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You can scrub with a wire brush or scrape of with a pairing knife

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back