White Flatworms HELP!!!

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these white/ flatworms and they are really really tiny. They seem different than the red planaria that I had in other tanks before.
I have a 750xxl tank 160gal with a lot of rock so I used Flatworm exit awhile back almost 3 weeks ago and that was a mistake.
-I used 84 drops and coral went crazy and closed up like no tomorrow
-used 1lbs of rox.o8 after the 30minutes were up and still had problems
My coral is back to normal and the tank looks good now but i'm terrified to use it again
I can only see them on the glass and have not really seen any on the coral
I am worried about this please help!!!
flatworm2.jpg
flatworm3.jpg
flatworm4.jpg
flatworm5.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acoel Flatworms. They're for the most part harmless. Although if their numbers get too great they can smother corals.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to have to continue to treat your tank, your corals are going to be unhappy either way especially is the infestation continues. Or you go full predator mode and drop a six line wrasse or two into the tanks and let them do the job.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to have to continue to treat your tank, your corals are going to be unhappy either way especially is the infestation continues. Or you go full predator mode and drop a six line wrasse or two into the tanks and let them do the job.
Actually I think it's a good time to be done with this hobby

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would update this thread-
- I used one whole bottle of flatworm exit and killed some
- next day they were back and used another whole bottle (300g treatment my tank is 160g)
- 3days later more came back and another bottle was added
I waited 3 days and yep many more on the glass and was about to throw in the towel till I did some research and then talked with some people in the know of things like this.
The consensus among these people was not to worry at all as these are "ghost flatworms" and actually a good thing;Woot
They feed on copepods and will not smother or bother coral like the red planaria will.
I can also say they are pretty much immune to flatworm exit and not to waist your money trying to kill the good guys.
I really hope this can help someone in the future not have the sense of worry and panic that I had.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No panic and not sure why the oh no's.
They as Crabs described are more of a nuisance than potential death to coral. They started the war- Now for you to finish it.
Simply siphon as many as you can. Addition of a 6 lined, lunare or melanurus wrasse will help eradicate them.
If all else woulf fail, you can use flatworm exit BUT. . . BUT . . . . use it carefully and be prepared to siphon dead ones daily as if left in tank can release toxins into water.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No panic and not sure why the oh no's.
They as Crabs described are more of a nuisance than potential death to coral. They started the war- Now for you to finish it.
Simply siphon as many as you can. Addition of a 6 lined, lunare or melanurus wrasse will help eradicate them.
If all else woulf fail, you can use flatworm exit BUT. . . BUT . . . . use it carefully and be prepared to siphon dead ones daily as if left in tank can release toxins into water.
No need to finish any war as they are not bad at all and will not smother coral so no "OH NOES" at all. If it were red planaria then yes I would need to siphon and help control the population as eventually they could smother coral.
Also as you can see I already used 3 whole bottles of flatworm exit and it does very little to hurt them as it kills a very few. No need to eradicate something that isn't a pest.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what the look like up close eating and this is exactly what mine do it just takes atleast a 10x magnification lens to see them as they are very tiny.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back