White fuzzy algae looks like cotton

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it is some kind of Bacterial stuff, mine just disappeared after some time. I'm currently cycling a new tank , and have this fuzz since day 2
I did a water change yesterday and used a razor on the back glass where it was the worst it almost looked like tree fluff with a tiny black root base at the end. it doesn't seem to be bothering my corals which is a good thing. this popped up about a week or so ago and was at it's worse just the other day. aprox how long did it take to go away for you?

joshrohrer91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to struggle with this same issue every time I start a new tank. It hasn't ever gotten as wide spread as yours appears to be, but instead pops up in small patches on the rocks in 2 or 3 areas. I have yet to find a definitive ID or solution to it and it always seems to go away on it's own as quickly as it appeared. It also seems to appear anywhere from 3 to 6 months after setting up the tank, usually soon after the initial cycle.

3 months ago I bought and setup a new all-in-one nano tank (JBJ Nano-Cube 29g). I set it up and started the cycle as I always do, using Bio-spira, live sand and rock and a clown fish that I've had for years and always use for this. And sure enough, two days ago the fuzzy cotton-like "fungus" has appeared. To me, it strongly appears like a fungus. This time, I'm just going to let it run it's course and not drive myself nuts trying to intervene. I've experienced this 4 other times and it always goes away on it's own.

I am a veterinarian and we use a lab to send samples to for ID. Today I scraped off 4 different samples and put them in various culture dishes and one in a sterile non-cultured test tube. I will send it off today for identification and sensitivity test. As soon as I have the results I will post them here. It will be nice to have an answer regardless!

Happy reefing everyone!
did you ever find out??

stevediaz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to struggle with this same issue every time I start a new tank. It hasn't ever gotten as wide spread as yours appears to be, but instead pops up in small patches on the rocks in 2 or 3 areas. I have yet to find a definitive ID or solution to it and it always seems to go away on it's own as quickly as it appeared. It also seems to appear anywhere from 3 to 6 months after setting up the tank, usually soon after the initial cycle.

3 months ago I bought and setup a new all-in-one nano tank (JBJ Nano-Cube 29g). I set it up and started the cycle as I always do, using Bio-spira, live sand and rock and a clown fish that I've had for years and always use for this. And sure enough, two days ago the fuzzy cotton-like "fungus" has appeared. To me, it strongly appears like a fungus. This time, I'm just going to let it run it's course and not drive myself nuts trying to intervene. I've experienced this 4 other times and it always goes away on it's own.

I am a veterinarian and we use a lab to send samples to for ID. Today I scraped off 4 different samples and put them in various culture dishes and one in a sterile non-cultured test tube. I will send it off today for identification and sensitivity test. As soon as I have the results I will post them here. It will be nice to have an answer regardless!

Happy reefing everyone!
Ever gotten back those results i to have this problem here my tank would it be the same stuff

Attachments

• E9888904-F835-4677-A1A3-64AAC688EF8E.jpeg
    E9888904-F835-4677-A1A3-64AAC688EF8E.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 50
  • BF8FDAEE-4BD8-4A5C-B15B-A609487C58DD.jpeg
    BF8FDAEE-4BD8-4A5C-B15B-A609487C58DD.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 54
  • D0EDEBA2-42C1-424F-BAE5-CF10415E57C4.jpeg
    D0EDEBA2-42C1-424F-BAE5-CF10415E57C4.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 52

KR0NIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the same stuff take over everywhere. I’ve seen a couple threads saying api algae fix would take car of it. Currently on my second dose of it. Life suggested flux rx thinking it’s a fungus and that didn’t do anything. Have dipped corals in everything I can and it just comes back. Crazy how no one knows a way to truly beat this stuff.

stevediaz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the same stuff take over everywhere. I’ve seen a couple threads saying api algae fix would take car of it. Currently on my second dose of it. Life suggested flux rx thinking it’s a fungus and that didn’t do anything. Have dipped corals in everything I can and it just comes back. Crazy how no one knows a way to truly beat this stuff.
Hmmm I saw reefergrl on YouTube have similar problem and she used flat worm exit and it seemed to go away who knows I’m gonna try the green killing machine uv

bahamasmls

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one word reeflux. Ive had this happen twice and reeflux seems to work. Takes 2-3 weeks

TheNewGuy321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to bring up old threads but having a similar (yet different?) issue. All of my opaque/clear hair like growth is underneath rocks (not in the light).
D592BD35-1D30-4D37-8136-3DAB1CE06741.jpeg

CB400BA5-FB11-417B-AC42-5C452F1C7C2E.jpeg

This next pic is the swim through area of the rocks the above pics were zoomed in on.

D2592B4D-FE2E-42F1-9F64-397CCB50D354.jpeg

Been here for a few months; not getting any worse or better. Thoughts?

Edit: more whites video to show how flow moves it-

same thing in my tank! any luck ID it?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back