White glowy hairlike worms on torch skeleton

gmayers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! First time posting. I’m 1.5 years into this hobby and am currently cycling a new build (Waterbox 130.4). I picked up a new torch the other day at LFS, dipped it in Revive, brushed the skeleton and plug thoroughly and it’s on the Frag rack in my current tank. Under that light I noticed a bunch of thin white “eyelash-looking” hairs around the skeleton and plug. Low and behold they retract when I stick a baster near them (so not algae). Trying to figure out what type of worm these are to determine if I can eradicate them or if I should try returning to LFS.
Pics attached for reference - thank you!

D8289A16-7FA5-4FCC-8555-BC924CDA6EBF.jpeg 4592E72F-FF06-46E8-9341-EA3F3A86BCD2.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! First time posting. I’m 1.5 years into this hobby and am currently cycling a new build (Waterbox 130.4). I picked up a new torch the other day at LFS, dipped it in Revive, brushed the skeleton and plug thoroughly and it’s on the Frag rack in my current tank. Under that light I noticed a bunch of thin white “eyelash-looking” hairs around the skeleton and plug. Low and behold they retract when I stick a baster near them (so not algae). Trying to figure out what type of worm these are to determine if I can eradicate them or if I should try returning to LFS.
Pics attached for reference - thank you!

D8289A16-7FA5-4FCC-8555-BC924CDA6EBF.jpeg 4592E72F-FF06-46E8-9341-EA3F3A86BCD2.jpeg
Coral Boring Spionid Worms - I'd return it, as removing these guys is not easy.
How fast they spread depends on the species and the condition in your tank, but, generally, they seem to spread moderately quickly (and then snowball to spreading rather rapidly). You can't scrape them off (the are literally bored into the coral skeleton, they're not just sitting on the outside of it), but if they are only on that one coral you can try to treat that coral by itself in a separate hospital tank using Interceptor, Bayer, or Ivermectin (please do not use these in your main tank, they will cause you problems):

The link I posted above can give you an idea of what people have tried to do to deal with (unsuccessfully, for the most part).

Edit: just to add, be careful using any of the above medications, and figure out how to dispose of them appropriately before disposing of them.
Unfortunate find, but welcome to Reef2Reef!

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look like the “ euphyllia white fuzz” but are they the worms? I’m having a hard time seeing if their the tentacle pairs of the worms…..if their the worm set em on fire!!!!

OP
OP
G

gmayers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was afraid it was those darn coral boring worms. I will run, not walk, to the LFS to return. Thank you everyone.

Back