White growth on eye of blue ring angel :(

aFishyDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first of all hello R2R people,Michael here,im new :)
a good friend recommended me this forum,saying it has a wonderful and knowledgeable community !

Yesterday the eye of my blue ring angel turned white-ish,i thought its no big deal,he was swimming fine,eating...i ran water tests,all was good,so i left it alone
this morning it got worse,he wouldnt eat,he does react to the food,i guess he just cant see it.
its like theres a white peice of a plastic bag covering his eye,bumpy and all...and its getting to his other eye.
tank is fish and rock only,100 gallons. he is the biggest fish in the tank.
tankmates are a picaso wrasse,a baby cowfish, a Caribbean high hat couple of firefish and clowns and an engineer goby.

water parameters are:
NH4/3= 0
No2=0
Po4=0.4 mg/L
KH=9 dkh
PH=8
spesific gravity at 0.024-25
cal at 480 ppm
mg at 1200 ppm

flow in the tank is made of an 8000 L/h wavemaker and a couple of 2000 l/h powerheads.

also,i tested for stray current,seems to be none.

advice or help please?

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may have cloudy eye and antibiotics will take care of it. I believe erythromycin is one that works. I'm sure humblefish will affirm this or point you to a better choice. Also I guess eye flukes could also be considered here.... someone with more experience will chime in and point you in the right direction.... great folks here!!! In the meantime try to post a good pic of him.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Posting a picture would really be helpful.

OP
OP
A

aFishyDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P70603_113509.jpg
iYNUQv

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you said it's spreading to the other eye, it's likely bacterial vs. an injury. I would suggest moving to QT and treating with erythromycin. Epsom salt might help with the swelling as well.

OP
OP
A

aFishyDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess a bacterial infection is the most likely cause.... I do not have access to erythromycin however.
What about furan?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess a bacterial infection is the most likely cause.... I do not have access to erythromycin however.
What about furan?
Erythromycin is typically recommended for eye infection, but Furan-2 is a wide spectrum antibiotic, and should help as well.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Erythromycin is typically recommended for eye infection, but Furan-2 is a wide spectrum antibiotic, and should help as well.
X2 move to qt and treat with antibiotics that's an infected eye. You'll need to act quickly to salvage it!

OP
OP
A

aFishyDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
defiantly seems like a bacterial issue considering how fast its progressive,this morning the entire second eye was almost covered with the same crap and the fish is acting rather sickly.....swimming unbalanced,spending time by the ground.
sadly i have no access to erythromycin,i live in Israel, a country the size of a nickel and none of the LFS here have that,so i've gone with a furan based med.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have access to kanaplex? I might add that in as well if you can, it sounds kind of aggressive:/

Also, if you can get acriflavine to use in a bath (5 gallon bucket works fine) that might help slow the infection.

OP
OP
A

aFishyDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out my magnesium test was faking,in reality my magnesium is actually in the 900's and calcium is in the 600's....leaving a test kit in the sunlight does that i guess....i guess the recent spread of caroline algae in the tank is to blame.
ive done a massive water change to balance things out,and added Sera Baktopour to the tank.which contains Butylglycol acriflavin methylene blue. figured that if it is a bacterial infection,its in the tank,and might show on other fish....reason ive went fish only is so i can medicate them properly after all.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to throw a wrench in the works here, but you said that the eyes appeared to be "bumpy" along with the white. The white is most certainly an infection and it does need to be treated, but I'm wondering if flukes is the cause here. Magnesium wouldn't cause an eye infection and unless the other fish have a weakened immune system, they aren't likely to get the same infection. Could you possibly give the angel a freshwater dip to rule out/confirm flukes?
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/video-how-to-do-a-freshwater-dip.214/

Also, here is a close up picture of flukes in the eye. Does it look like this?
Diplostomum_spathaceum.jpg

OP
OP
A

aFishyDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to throw a wrench in the works here, but you said that the eyes appeared to be "bumpy" along with the white. The white is most certainly an infection and it does need to be treated, but I'm wondering if flukes is the cause here. Magnesium wouldn't cause an eye infection and unless the other fish have a weakened immune system, they aren't likely to get the same infection. Could you possibly give the angel a freshwater dip to rule out/confirm flukes?
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/video-how-to-do-a-freshwater-dip.214/

Also, here is a close up picture of flukes in the eye. Does it look like this?
Diplostomum_spathaceum.jpg
First of all thanks for your help,second,no it doesnt look like this at all. the bumps are ouwards,like folds in the fabric covering its eye....
update:
things arent really getting better,he;s become less active and the eyes now appear to be bloodshot under the white fabric :(

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No matter the cause you really need to pull this fish for QT and treatment. Epsom salt will help with the swelling and antibiotics are needed for the eye. Erythromycin is great for eye infections, though kanaplex + furan2 is a good option as well.

Epsom Salt: Treats eye and other injuries. Popeye in one eye usually means injury, but popeye in both eyes usually denotes a bacterial infection requiring antibiotic treatment. Cloudy eye can be a bacterial infection or flukes.

How To Treat - 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of aquarium water. Repeat only once, if necessary. Use only “USP” grade Epsom salt.

Pros - Reef safe, as Epsom salt is just magnesium sulfate.

Cons/Side Effects - The effects of excessive sulfate in a reef aquarium are not fully known.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter the cause you really need to pull this fish for QT and treatment. Epsom salt will help with the swelling and antibiotics are needed for the eye. Erythromycin is great for eye infections, though kanaplex + furan2 is a good option as well.

Epsom Salt: Treats eye and other injuries. Popeye in one eye usually means injury, but popeye in both eyes usually denotes a bacterial infection requiring antibiotic treatment. Cloudy eye can be a bacterial infection or flukes.

How To Treat - 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of aquarium water. Repeat only once, if necessary. Use only “USP” grade Epsom salt.

Pros - Reef safe, as Epsom salt is just magnesium sulfate.

Cons/Side Effects - The effects of excessive sulfate in a reef aquarium are not fully known.

I agree, he needs a hospital tank (no rock or sand) and a full course of antibiotics. Hope he pulls through for you!

OP
OP
A

aFishyDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright....so its been a week since the issue first appeared,and 5 days since i began treatment with acriflavin.
sadly there was no improvment to say the least.
the eyes still look bloodshot and deformed,fin rot is starting and i have noticed a tiny wound on his side,behind the fin.
i'll get a QT tank for him tomorrow.cant get more then a 40 gallon tank as of now but i hope its better then leaving him in the display.
will continue treatment with antibios,water changes and epsom salt.

how much flow do i want in the QT,and what filter media in the sump?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A powerhead aimed at the surface works well, you want good 02 exchange when treating with meds.

For filter media, a sponge soaked in biospira is good. And, you'll want an ammonia badge.

For medications I would highly suggest using all three (kanaplex+metroplex+furan-2)at this point. The wound on the side has me worried, I'm afraid you are getting low on time to get this turned around.

OP
OP
A

aFishyDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you ma'am,but i was mostly wondering about how much total turnover/flaw rate should i have in the QT
i've got plenty of live rock in the tank,a piece of which ill move to the qt tank,should be enough of a filter,will test regularly obviously.

hopefully the big guy makes it :(

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you ma'am,but i was mostly wondering about how much total turnover/flaw rate should i have in the QT
i've got plenty of live rock in the tank,a piece of which ill move to the qt tank,should be enough of a filter,will test regularly obviously.

hopefully the big guy makes it :(
As bad as this guy sound you probably don't want much flow. If you have an HOB, I wouldn't add a powerhead. Less for a weakened fish to fight against. Normally, I love flow in my QT's but a week fish can get sucked against them.

Should have looked more closely. When I set up a QT I like a plain tank without a sump. Just an oversized HOB. For a 40g QT I would get an HOB rated for a 55g system. The only media I would use immediately is a sponge to hold the bacteria while you are doing the treatment.
Since you are needing to add antibiotics immediately I would get 2 sponges for the filter. Use the first one with Biospira immediately and put the second one in a container with more Biospira and some fish food. Temp and flow aren't important.
The antibiotics can keep the Biospira from getting well established. The sponge in the container should seed very well and if you start seeing ammonia you can swap the sponges out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back