White Hair Algae

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have quite a bit of what appears to be a white hair algae growing in the shaded areas of my aquascape. I recently had some general hair algae but this has been cleaned up with quite a few snails (~40 snails in a 4”x2” tank).

I’m pretty sure this is algae and not bacteria because under a microscope I believe that I can see a couple of small chloroplast.

The snails will not touch this stuff. Either they don’t like it or they are just lazy, IDK. So, what to do?

996CB259-CDCD-45A1-8232-5C46AFDBF847.jpeg AB7BD5FE-018E-4E92-A75D-9AD9B5E7995A.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pitiferan sponge and filamentous sponge

OP
OP
RGoltz

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pitiferan sponge and filamentous sponge
It’s always something, isn’t it? I’ve attached a video here just in case movement aids in confirming the identification.

I should add that the tank is currently fallow and I’ve been attempting to maintain some nutrients with a combination of broadcast feeding and dosing nitrate+phosphate. The tank parameters are:

NO3 : 5
PO4 : 0.03
PH : 8.1
MG : 1420
CA : 430
ALK : 8.4

I have been using Oyster Feast as part of the broadcast feeding. So if this is a sponge I can eliminate that. What else should I possibly address now, and what additional recourse if this continues to spread?

Attachments

• IMG_0947.MOV
    4.9 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like derbesia which is a filamentous algae but also very similar to calcareous sponge.
The best course of battle is to remove rock abd scrub with a small dish brush or firm totthbrush, rinse and return rock to the tank.
Add some chemipure blue or elite which will help control the nutrients that are likely feeding this stuff

OP
OP
RGoltz

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like derbesia which is a filamentous algae but also very similar to calcareous sponge.
The best course of battle is to remove rock abd scrub with a small dish brush or firm totthbrush, rinse and return rock to the tank.
Add some chemipure blue or elite which will help control the nutrients that are likely feeding this stuff
Always something... Will something like Vibrant help here?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
RGoltz

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may but would be a gamble
Hmmmmmmmm

I’m going to sleep on this one. If the lack of chloroplasts is any indicator the algae may already be pretty weak. I *think* I may be willing to try the Vibrant and if slows the progression over the next two weeks I’ll proceed. If not, as you said, it’s time to get to work!

Either way, I will make sure that I post the exciting conclusion here so that maybe someone else will find this useful.

Thank you for the help!

OP
OP
RGoltz

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dividing the weekly recommended dose of Vibrant and applying this 1/2 dose twice weekly. The white hair algae that had been growing in shaded areas is ~90% gone. This is after three doses. I cannot say for certain that the Vibrant resolved the issue but it does seem to be going away.

I also have some Ulva growing in the tank. This started on the rocks and a few emerald crabs solved that issue.. Now it just seems to grow loose in the sand. As an experiment I will continue some light dose of Vibrant and see if it helps with this..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back