White lines on Yellow Watchman Goby

Laniac103

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed these lines running down my goby's side. They look raised like scratches, any ideas what they are or how he could have gotten them?

20211024_195428.jpg 20211024_195419.jpg

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed these lines running down my goby's side. They look raised like scratches, any ideas what they are or how he could have gotten them?

Possible scratch/ injury from coming in and out of his burrow. Usually injuries, cuts and scratches appear white on a fish’s body.

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I shouldn't be worried?
See if they go away. Injuries will get better with good food. I feed frozen with selcon added. Keep an eye on him to make sure he eats and to make sure the marks don’t turn red (sign of infection). If an infection happens it would be ideal to have. quarantine tank for treatment. If not, you’ll have to catch him and treat in therapeutic baths (ruby reef rally/ methylene blue). Aerated water for 30-45 minutes.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The lines almost seem to be following the fish's lateral line. The pores along the lateral line can produce excess mucus when the fish has some irritation - water quality, bacteria or protozoans.

It is highly unlikely that these are from a simple injury - they are too elongate, and then, fish that live in burrows like this have very thick skin and are simply not prone to being injured.

Is the fish still feeding well?
I'm concerned because in addition to the mucus, it looks like it is holding its fins clamped.

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
L

Laniac103

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lines almost seem to be following the fish's lateral line. The pores along the lateral line can produce excess mucus when the fish has some irritation - water quality, bacteria or protozoans.

It is highly unlikely that these are from a simple injury - they are too elongate, and then, fish that live in burrows like this have very thick skin and are simply not prone to being injured.

Is the fish still feeding well?
I'm concerned because in addition to the mucus, it looks like it is holding its fins clamped.

Jay Hemdal
He has been eating fine, but his behavior has been kind of strange. Usually I'd never see him far from his burrow, so him being out on top of the rock like that is what got my attention and allowed me to see the lines in the first place.

OP
OP
L

Laniac103

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using vibrant to try and fight dinos, this picture was taken about 2 hours after I dosed it. Do you think that's what could be irritating him?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using vibrant to try and fight dinos, this picture was taken about 2 hours after I dosed it. Do you think that's what could be irritating him?
You should run a search here on "Vibrant". I don't use it myself, but I keep hearing rumblings of it causing issues for people....

Jay

OP
OP
L

Laniac103

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've definitely heard some horror stories, but the people at my lfs swear by it and their tanks always look great. I'll skip my dose next week and see if the goby looks any better, I'd rather have to find a new way to fight the dinos than kill the fish.

OP
OP
L

Laniac103

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Jay was definitely correct about the mucus, the fish made a bunch of slime over the last few days but then I came home tonight and it had all cleared up. He's been eating normally and has stopped clamping his fIns. Still not sure what caused the irritation but he seems to have recovered so I'm not gonna complain. Thanks for the advice!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back